Tuesday, December 26, 2006

YUZU-kosyou


Do you know YUZU-kosyou? It is kind of YUZU paste which is mixed with peels of YUZU and green peppers. ( The green one on the left is also made by green pepper which is not ripe yet.) It has a wonderful fragrance and spicy taste. It really suits to soup or pot-food (NABE RYOURI).
My friend has made it from about 4 years ago. She is a farmer. She started it without any special reason, just shouting "MOTTAINAI; (what a waste)". Because every year many "YUZU" are left on the trees in the garden without beging used.
At first she sold them at flea market, and I helpd her. ( I made labels).
Next year some women (who were her neighbors and farmers) joind her, and they bought a specail machine to peel the skin, and made them in the processing houseof the town instead of her house. And they made and sold YUZU-kosyou more.
This year they got subsidy from the town, and sell as the specailty of the town.

Great!
She is always smiling. Sometimes she says "I met many troubles becasue I was not born as a farmer". But she is always smiling. And she often brings many veg or rice taking care of me.
Thanks Ms. EZURE, I love you! You always encourage me!

Now I have to call her "Executive Ezure".

5 comments:

Helen said...

The Yuzu-Kosyou sounds really nice! Is there any way we can buy it over the internet? ( In Japanese would be okay too as I could ask my husband to order it.)

I bought some Yuzu-salt recently and I really love it.

Mieko said...

To Helen
Yuzu-Kosyou is really populer in KYUSYU, so there are many online shops in KYUSYU that deal with Yuzu-Kosyou.
For example, http://www.yuzukosyou.com/

Or if you want the YUZU-kosyou my friend made, I'll ask her. I live in TOCHIGI, please leave your comments again.

Helen said...

Of course, I'm interested in the yuzu-kosyou that your friend made! But, don't worry. I'll check out the URL that you listed.

I'm up in Yamagata-ken, so I'm not sure if we have it here. I haven't heard of it before.

Mieko said...

To Helen
It is easy for YUZU to grow in warm areas. So it must be not popuer in your area. ANYWAY it tastes really good. It suits to pot-food, TOUFU, sauted pork or fish and "KIRITANPO".
"KIRITANPO" is popuer in your area, isn't it?

Helen said...

Actually, kiritanpo is from Akita prefecture. We can get it sometimes, but it isn't a usual thing here.

I have seen quite a few yuzu trees around. Yamagata is famous for fruit.

Thanks for the information. :-)