Tuesday, February 06, 2007

"Mottainai"!


"Mottainai", do you know the meaning of this word? It is difficult to be tranlated in English. Probably it is the peculiar to Japanese. This Grandma has habit saying "mottainai".

When a boy is brushing his teeth at bathroom while the water is running. She comes and says.

Splash Splash! Leaving water running. "Mottainai". And she turn off the tap.

I think the closet word to "mottainai" is wasteful.
When I went to a picture book exhibision I bought this book. It was written by a Japanese writer, but it is translated in ENGLIH using "mottainai".
Yesterday in my lesson, I showed this book. All kids knew this book. Actually now the word of "mottainai" is reconsidered even in Japan. So I read this book in English. Every kids seemed to enjoy my reading shouting "mottainai" together.

No comments: