Friday, March 02, 2007

American taste arrived!




Thanks Jan. We are really surprised!!!! For a while we can enjoy American taste. Today we tried oatmeal with bananas, of course adding a littlie suger---- sorry, the taste is so-so, but my husband , daughter and I really enjoyed saying "strange"and laughed. We prefer rice porridge with a little bit salt. Now we are thinking what taste we'll try next. It is fun!! My husband says, "try basilico spaghetti", my daughter says "try hamburger". What do you recommend the best?
And everyone, have you tried anything of them? or what do you want to try first?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

All of the packages are "instant" mixes and (in my opinion) do not taste as good as fresh. The instant oatmeal, for example, takes about 30 seconds but I cook steel cut Scotish oatmeal that takes 30 minutes to cook. But, it's fun to try the different tastes. Try the Sloppy Joe hamburger mix and try it either over pasta or rice and see what you think. Have fun! Jan

Mieko said...

Jan even though they are instant, we really enjoy all tastes. I have a question, though usually rice porridge has a salty taste, does oatmeal have a sweet taste?

Anonymous said...

Americans have a sweet tooth...much more than Japanese! A little amount of sugar is often put on top of several things that might surprise you...fresh grapefruit, for example. It's a matter of family custom, habit or even the area where you live but I would say that traditionally oatmeal is served with honey or sugar (sometimes brown) and milk or cream. It doesn't have to be sweet, however. Jan

Anonymous said...

I eat my oatmeal every morning sweetened with pure maple syrup (not the fake maple syrup known as pancake syrup--that stuff is terrible).

If you were going to make a packet of "instant Japanese flavor", what would you put in it? Instant ramen? Soy sauce? Wasabi? Nori? Miso Shiro? An?