Tuesday, April 10, 2007

eel pie


These are sweets, and the sign on them is "eel pie" in English.
What is eel pie? Do they look like eels? No, they have eel in powder, so they are called "eel pie". And they have the adjective of "for night". Why? having eels is said to give us stamina and eels are used for tomic medicines.
These sweetsa are peculiarity of SHIZOKA. Lots of eels are cultivated in SHIZUOKA.
In my region we have the same shaped pie. It is called "KANPYOU pie". they have KANPYOU in powder. KANPYOU is a kind of vegetables. So the sweets don't have an adjective. If they had something modified, they would be called "healthy KANPYOU pie".

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Mieko
I have just started reading your diary and enjoy it very much. I live in Australia and my daughter is living in Kakamigahara (Gifu) until January 2008, so it is very interesting for me to read your diary. My daughter is 16 years old and has only been there for 3 weeks. Last year we visited Japan and I loved it. I hope to go back this year again. Regards, Shelleydnqusn

Mieko said...

Shelleydnqusn
Thank you for your comments, I bet you daughter enjoy Japanese life. GIFU is warmer area than here, so I think it is easy to live.
My daughter is 17 years, so if she is intereseted in my city (TOSHIGI), come to stay with us. My family is resigetered as a host family. During these 15 years more than 10 countres guests came to stay with us. And I hope you have a chance to come to Japana again.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Mieko
Maybe we can meet one day. My daughter is enjoying Kakamigahara and is going to school there. Not many people speak english so it is a bit hard until her Japanese language improves.
Regards
Shelley

:P said...

hello again!

i think this is interesting, the eel pie. =D maybe when my boys and i go back to japan i will try this. my husband said that if we want to, we could go back to japan this year. of course, i am very much excited about that because i really love japan! =D i have been around yokohama, the area of sanrio puroland, disneyland, shibuya and akihabara. i hope to see some snow when i go back because i missed that the last time. =D

i already tried some food there like the yakiniku, ramen (tonkotsu - really yummy!) and some others. =D i hope when i go back I will try other food as well, like the okonomiyaki that i read about. =D