Sunday, July 08, 2007

Garbage -1-

In two weeks, I'm going to make a short speech about garbage. So I'm putting together my mind on this diary. If you don't know the system of dealing with garbage in Japan, it might be difficult to understand the contents. But anyway I'll try to wirte down. If I get some comments, I'm really happy.

Garbage -1-
Are you interested in the garbage problem? Any municipal authorities attempt to reduce garbage and recycle garbage to cut down the cost of garbage running costs and to decrease carbon dioxide.

In Yokohama, they should separate garbage into 10 groups and 15 kinds of things. And this year they succeeded in reducing 30% garbage, and 750 thousand tons of carbon dioxide. The cost of separating garbage was not so cheap, but they could cut down the cost of running incinerator more. And the amount of carbon dioxide seems to be tantamount of the amount of the forest 1.2 times as large as Yokohama city.

It is a wonderful thing. On present showing separating garbage seems to be the easiest way for everyone to try to reduce garbage equally. If small tries get together, it must be of big effect. But this separating is kind of command, we should reconsider this problem of garbage as our own problem; we should do something by our will, not by command. At that time we’ll really be able to overcome this problem.

In my city, the way to deal with garbage is not so strict. We separate garbage into 5 groups and 10 kinds of things. I think it's not so difficult. But on the day of garbage truck coming, I often see some bags of garbage which are against the rule. Most of them are small plastic bags full of mixed garbage of plastic bottles, paper, can, and so on. Probably some lazy single men (or women) do that. When a garbage truck comes and sees them, they just put the sign written "rule violation", leave them and run along. After that house wives or elder people who keep the house, separate the garbage in the bags according to the rule. Does it sound something strange? On the surface separating garbage is well done, but not everyone does it.

to be contined

4 comments:

とぼ said...

Hello Mieko. I'm an American who studies Japanese. I've enjoyed reading your blog and seeing your nice garden.

Let me make some comments on your speech. I hope I can help.

First, I'm interested in your purpose in making the speech. Are you trying to inform your audience or to change their way of thinking?

I'm familiar with separating burnable and non-burnable trash. But I don't quite understand the difference between 10 "groups" and 15 "kinds of things." If you gave an example or two ("15 kinds of things such as A and B"), people might understand more easily. Or you could say something like "10 general categories and 15 specific items."

One last thought--If I lived in Japan, I would worry that organizing the garbage might be hard to do. If you explained the 5 groups and 10 kinds of garbage in your town and how you sort them, store them, and take them out for collection, your audience might think that they can do it too.

These are just some ideas I had. If they don't sound right to you, please don't worry about them.

Have fun working on your speech!
Umaku ikimasu yo, kitto!

Mieko said...

Hello TOBO san, I'm really happy to get your comments.

I belong to a Toast master club in this city. It is a kind of speech club. I hear it is populer in America, do you know that? There, I'll tell about my tiny concern in my daily hosewife life.

And about the way to separate, I'll write on my diary from now.

とぼ said...

Hi Mieko. Yes, I know of Toastmasters. It sounds like a very good organization. And I'm glad that you are participating. Your concerns as a housewife are really quite important, I think!

I read your new post on the types of garbage. I understand much better now. Thank you.

Do you mind if I correct a few phrases in your original post?

"a garbage problem" should be "the garbage problem." (It is one specific problem.)

In the sentence, "Though the cost of separating garbage was not so cheap, but they could cut down the cost," you should remove either "Though" or "but." These two words are doing the same job in the sentence.

Finally, the phrase "out of rule" toward the end should probably be "rule violation" to sound more natural.

I hope my comments are useful to you. Please ignore them if they are not.

It is night in Japan now, so I'll wish you and your family a good evening!

Mieko said...

Good morning TOBO
It's cloudy.
Thanks for your comments. You are a great help!