Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Pickled cucumbers


The other day I was taught "pickled cucumbers with Syouchu".

Now My daughter loves them, so I often make them, and I often give som of them to my friends, and most of friends are surprised and glad. So I tell the recipe.


It's really easy, if you can get Syouchu.


Prepare 5 or 6 cucumbers.

Cut both side of them a little to let the liquid penetrate easily.

Put them into a big plastic bag with zip.

Add 120g suger.

Add 23g salt.

Add 30cc Syouchu.

And just wait for a day.


I usualy use millet suger, so something brown in this photo is "sugar".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tried to look up SYOUCHU and found it to be a Japanese type of whiskey. However, your recipe appears to use a type of VINEGAR that then makes "pickles" from cucumbers. That is how we make pickles here. I especially like dill pickles and to make these, you must add fresh dill herb to the mixture...but it takes much longer than 1 day! I remember eating many "pickled" foods in Japan...not so popular here in the USA. Jan

Mieko said...

Pickles arue usualy something preserved in venegar, but these cucumbers are preserved in salt and SYOUCHU of alcohol. And adding some suger makes them a little bit sweet. If you get it, prease try. I forgot a one thing, don't forget some red pepper.