Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Katorisenkou


This something green is called "katorisenkou". According to the dictionary, it seemes to be "mosquito coles" in English. It's kind of insecticide and kind of incense.

When I was a child, it was a usual think in Summer. When it smelled, I thought summer came. Now we have electric mosqutio coils, i like this old-fasion type.

I put it on the floor of the entrance hall.


When I light it, my sagter says "smells like grandmama's house".

Some students say "it smells "Osenkou" (incense), it means probably incense at their Buddhie altars.


But somestudents say "stick", "feel sick".

These days fragrance-free is getting popular, peopel tend to be sensitive to smell too much.

Though I don't like strong fragrance, I like ole-fashioned smell, because I get used to them.


What francence will remind nowadays kids to their old days when they grow up?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We used to use mosquito coils in our tents when we camped outdoors in the woods. I think the only place you might find them now is in an outdoor sports store. Do you have mosquitos in your house in the summer? Jan

Mieko said...

As you know, this house is not airconditioned house, though several rooms have airconditiones.
So when I'm home, I usualy leave the entrance door open. So "katorisnekou" is needed. And I also open all windows and use screen doors, so sometimes small mosquitos come in. I use electric Katrorisenkou in the room. At noon I tur on the air condition, but in the evening I don't use the air condition except the lesson room.

Anonymous said...

In the Philippines, we call this Katol... maybe it was derived from the "katori"

The appearance of it is the same like the one on your blog... it has a very pungent smell & if inhaled directly, will cause nausea