Saturday, September 29, 2007

GOYA








This spring I planted GOYA, and I got some GOYA. GOYA is usually grown in OKINAWA, and it is famous for the really bitter taste. Actaully I don't like it very much, but I heard it was good for our health and easy to grow, so I planted.

This summer my husband and I have had GOYA & yoghurt juice almost every morning. Though the taste was really bitter, but the vivid green juice looked really healthy.

A friend said ripe GOYA is not so bitter.So I waited some GOYA to be ripe.

The usual green GOYA is hard, but the ripe GOYA is really soft.

I made GOYA tempura with gree peppers.

Unexpectedly or as my friend said, it was not so bitter , proper bitter taste. Even my daughter was willing to eat it.

This summer we really enjoyed "GOYA". Thanks "GOYA".

I don't like gardening very much, and I'm not good at gardening.BUT this time we could get ripe goya because I did gardening. Growing vegetables in the garden might be add to the list of my hobbies.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tried to find something similar to goya here in the US but found nothing. It looks very much like a gourd (non-edible...at least I think you don't eat it)you often find at this time of year as a Fall decoration. The outside is usually lacquered to make it shiny as well as to preserve it. It's then used with other colorful gourds in a basket or bowl as a display. Jan

Anonymous said...

Probably gourd is HYOUTAN in Japan. Here in Tochigi it is famous for HYOUTAN, so lots of lacquered HYOUTAN are sold in suvenior shops. Didn't you notice that? Mieko

:P said...

goya in the philippines is called ampalaya. it's bitter and looks exactly like the one in your photo. and it grows on a vine too so i think it's the same thing. goya in english is called bitter gourd or bitter melons. in the philippines, this is very popular for its medicinal properties. it it made into tea to help prevent diabetes. =D

Anonymous said...

To Yette, in your country do you usualy eat Goya or"ampalaya2? I didn't know that.
And I heard GOYA TEA for the first time. Fortunally I haven't had dabetes, but many Japanese man are suffering from diagetes, so in a few days it might be a populer. Mieko