Monday, November 05, 2007

Rhubarb








A friend of mine sent rhubarb stalks and roots. (the leaves with rhubarb stalks are called KUSHINSAI). The friend enjoys growing unfamiliar vegetables at her big garden. Her homemade rhubarb jam is really wonderful, so I've wanted to try to make it by myself.

I'm satisfied with my homemade jam, but my daughter said "it is grassy".

Anyway on the day she sent them , I planted the roots, and one week later-- yes some fresh leaves came out. I'm really surprised. How fast!

The leaves look like sunny lettuce. Can we eat it???

Anyway I got another enjoyment of new spring after hard winter.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love rhubarb and remember it in my parent's garden. As you know, it is very sour but my brother and I would eat it "raw" (and probably had stomach aches!) Here we only use it with lots of sugar or honey in various ways...I especially like to make a rhubarb custard cake, but it is popular mixed with strawberries in pie, jams or just "stewed" and served over ice cream or puddings. I will look for a rhubarb plant for my flowerbeds. Jan

Anonymous said...

Me too. I'm looking forward the harvest season of my rhubarb. Mieko