Monday, January 28, 2008

Yam OKONOMIYAKI (pancake)


The other day I got a big yam. my neigor went to a mountain to dig yams. This yam is not raised, spontaneous.
I cooked it to TORORO-SHIRU, TENPURA. But we still have it.
And usually we eat grinded Yam. grinding it is troublesome, and when I'm grinding, my hands feel itchy.
Well, do you know OKONOMIYAKI? It's a kind of unsweetened vegetable(mainly cabage) pancake. We often make it. The other day a high-class OKONOMIYAKI restaurant was introduced on TV. They use only yam without flour. (Usually we use flour to put together the ingredients)
So my husand and I tried. He grinded all yam. I mix it with sliced cabage, egg, fried pork. And fried it on the pan like the photo above.
Yes, it was really YUMMY!!!!
--- but while I was eating it, much yam made my lip a little bit ichty,though of course I didn't stop eatting.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okonomiyaki is definitely one of my favorite Japanese meals. You and your daughter made it for me when I stayed in your home. In Nara, I went to a "Japanese pizza" restaurant, serving okonomiyaki that we cooked right on the table tops. However, I have never found a Japanese restaurant here in the US that has it on the menu.
It sounds as though you have an allergy to yams, Mieko! Jan

Anonymous said...

Yes, I have a littl bit allergy to yams. Well though it is my image, at Japanese restaurants in other conntries they serve speacil Japanese dishes, not domestic food. So it might be a difficult to find Okonomiyaki at Japanese restaurants where they serve SASHIMI, TEPURA, etc.
It is easy to cook, please try it.

owenandbenjamin said...

I love okonomiyaki. My wife made it just last week. When I first was told that this was a Japanese pancake, I did not like it so much because I was used to American pancakes. I said to myself, "this is not a pancake". But now I think they taste really good.

Anonymous said...

Many guests( not only foreigners ) said "It's tasty" like Jan.
My OKONOMIYAKI is full of sliced cabage.