Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Came back from Canbodia

Who? not me, my daughters and my mother-in-law. And now my younger daughter came home and is still in bed.Yesterday I talked with her.
It seemed for her to have had many or some troubles with her grand mother and have had lots of valuable, interesting, and enjoyable things.I was able to expect some troubles would happen with my mother-in-law.So I also talked to my mother-in-law on the phone yesterday.
But anyway generally the trip seemed to be good for everyone.Actually all of them came back JAPAN without troubles.
I'll tell you each complaints later. Most of them were caused by the difference of their generation.
Well, the most surprised thing for me was that;she (my younger daughter ) said "I reconsidered you (me), your (volunteer) work is actually needed. I'm proud of you."
What ? What ? What happened to her?I was really surprised.
As you know, my family is registered as a host family. We had lots of guests from various countries. Some guests came from Asian developing countries. Because some of my friends are really eager to do some volunteer work for them (for example to collect and send unused stationery). The friends are really attractive. Against my surface I'm not so eager to do volunteer work, but more I know them, more I want to do something with the friends. I always think that I might be a hypocrite, so I hesitate to do something for people or refugee directly, but I want to help or do something with my friends.When my daughters were small, they did together without thinking. But older they got, more they hesitated to do such volunteer work. Because they also think themselves to be hypocrites.
And this time they went there by themselves. Probably places they visited were not so poor area. But for them it seemed to be enough. Doing what we can do is necessary. Pretending to be sleeping is insincere.So my younger daughter seemed to reconsider me.
AND my daughter seemed to talk a lot with some Japanese girls who are doing volunteer work there. And --- I don't know, what will happen.
But anyway this trip gave a concrete opportunity to look at another world.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes you have to leave what you have for a while to appreciate it more when you return.

Mieko said...

probably I understood what you want to say, but it's a little difficult sentences for me. Please tell what you want to say more easier sentence with some concreat examples.

Anonymous said...

Many times in life we do not appreciate or value what we have on a daily basis (our home, our family, our way of life) until we leave it for a period of time. It may be just going on a trip (to Cambodia) and seeing how other people struggle in their daily lives. Or, it might be having to be with other people (such as grandmothers) who may not be as understanding as your parents. Young adult children who first leave home to go to college, military or away to work often have the realization that life back home wasn't so bad, after all.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, I agree with you.