Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Spring meals




















These days there are lots of spring meals around me. I'm really happy.

My friend sent homemade Japanese apricot jam. So I baked cookies with it. It tastes a little bit sour, I love the taste and smell.

And yesterday I went to the cafe "KARAKU" to play the piano. They served horsetail quiche, and I took it. It is the brown round thing in the middle photo. Do you know or remember what horsetails are. They are sort of field grass. They come out in this season. The master and his wife picked them up and baked them. They really bring "spring" on the table.

And now I'm making oragne peels using Chinese oragnes (in Japanese we called them NATSU MIKAN--summer orange), which were sent from another my friend.

I'm really happy surrounding such spring meals, and having good friends.

What spring foods are you enjoying now?


































5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Asparagus and strawberries are in season now for spring.

Anonymous said...

Asparagus? I didn't notice it.
Yes, it is in season.
And do you know that straberries are one of famous products in this prefecture.

Kharina said...

Hi Mieko, wonderful diary you have here!
I'm writing to you from Bath, England. Currently with spring we are enjoying British asparagus. The season is very short, so we must make the best of it.
Also in season is rhubarb. Do you have rhubarb in Japan?

Kharina said...

I just realised that you actually have rhubarb in your garden. How silly of me!
What do you normally do with rhubarb? We will make pie, crumble or even jam. My mother makes the most amazing rhubarb and lime jam.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your comments, Kharina
Rhubarb is not so familer in Japan except among some herp lovers. And I knew them last year, so this year I started to grow them. I'd like to make rhubarb jam.