Thursday, July 31, 2008

Noodels



Now I'll show what kinds of noodles there are in my house.From the left, "Soumen", "Soba", "Udon", and the upper is "Beefn", the down is Chinese noodle.Each of them has various types; thick type, thine type, long type, I prefer thine type from thick type (because of my tooth problem for the present)
And there are various types to eat; soup type, dip type, fried type, or hot type, cool type --- only 4ways?Now we are in the humied and hot summer, I like cool &dip type.For example, I boiled "Soba". And I prepared cool a little bit thick soup. After cooling soap with running water, I strained the water and put "Soba" on the plate. And I take some with chopsticks, and dip them into the cool soup, and eat them.
Soba, made from buckwheat ( Unfortunately my younger daughter has a slight allergy to Soba, though Soba is the favourite noodle of my husband)Udon, made from wheat
Both of them are typical Japanese noodles.And other things are
Somen, made by wheat, and they are really really thin. The similar noodle is "Hiyamugi", that is a little bit thick than Somen, but also really thinner than Udon. "Somen" and "Hiyamugi" are typical summer noodle in Japan, though it's OK to eat in winter (it might be difficult to get these noodles)
Chinese noodles, probably you know "RAMEN". According to Chinese people, Japanese Ramen is different from Chinese Ramen.And "Cup Noodle " was born in Japan, but the taste is completely different. My daughters used to like them. In summer we like cold type, this is called "HIYASHI CHYUKA". Usually we boil the noodles.Have you heard "Yakisoba"? This is steamed type. We fried the steamed type with vegetables and taste them Worcester sauce. In the festival we can see "Yakisoba" here and there.
"Beefn" is ---, according to the dictionary "rice vermicelli". Do you know that? The way to eat is similar to "yakisoba". Steam them and fry them with vegetables. The seasoning is pepper & salt i (usually), it's OK to use Worcester sauce.
And unfortunately I don't have now, but one of my favourite Japanese noodles is "saraudon".I heard Chinese noodle is used "salt water"(Kansui) . On the other hand the noodle looks like deep-fried Chinese noodle, but is not used Kansui. We put thick vegetable sauce on it and eat it."Saraudon" is famous in NAGASAKI. And another famous noodle in Nagasaki is "Chanpon". it is like udon and like ramen.
Oh, I almost forgot. These days Korean cold noodle is popular, the noodle is clear. Have you seen it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the "noodle" lesson! I learned a lot! I didn't realize that certain noodles are eaten a various times in the year. The Italian pasta is basically the same dough but the shapes and widths are what gives them their names. But, as far as I know, all Italian pasta is eaten throughout the year.
I like "thin" because I can taste the sauce, the vegtables, the seasonings more than the noodles.

Anonymous said...

When we eat pasta, actaully the sauce is really important, on the other hand when we eat cold noodle, probablly some people say it is tasteless, we (Japanese people?) tend to enjoy the feeling the moment that noodels run through the throat. So we (Japanese people) make sounds (not noise) while eating noodles.--- I guess.