Thursday, September 11, 2008

Fathers in their late 40's

Last Sunday I attended a party: thanks for your teaching for long years. My professor retired this spring.
At the party members separated into two groups naturally, one is "syouwa"group and the other is "heisei" group.
Do you know we have names of an era. Now it is "heisai". My elder daughter was born in the last "syouwa" era, and my younger daughter was born in the "heisei" era.
Though I don't have enough knowledge, in the syouwa era there were many changes in Japan, wars (well, in my generation the first half of syowa era is "unfamiliar" world.), the bubble economy, and the appearance of the computer. (The appearance of the car and appliances are in the first half of syowa era, and the appearance of the cellphone is in the heisei era.)

And I was one of two women who graduated in the syouwa era.
So I was talking with "men" in their late 40's at the party.
(Usually people I talk are kids, students, women and a few men in their 60's(neighbors), and my husband.)

Half of them are fathers (it means the half of are single).
They seemed to be---- really ----"tired" from working and daily life.
And probably everybody has something trouble about work, children, and their parents.
So they don't talk about current work, their children, though we talked about our parents because everybody was interested in nursery homes for senior people.

Last year I attended an alumni& alumnae meeting of my high school. There I was talking with talkative women with full of pep. They talked about their hobby, work (half of women were shingle) , children (even though they have troubles.)

So what were we talking about?
memorial happenings at the laboratory at that time, computers, deg ital cameras,--- and so on.
Everybody seemed to miss that good old days.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

I think that in English we spell 昭和 as Showa. I was born in Showa 41 so I would have been in your group. :-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks Kristen, yes "Showay". in Roma-ji of Japanese style syowa. But you don't have such sounds; I know.
And -- I'm glad that you are in the same group.