Monday, October 27, 2008

Table tobics

Yesterday I attended a Toast Master meeting. There I was in charge of table topics.

When autumn comes, we hear or see these four expression here and there, autumn reading, autumn for art, autumn for sports and autumn eating. As you guess, I "love " eating, though not so much, and don't like "cooking" very much.
We'll focus on autumn eating.

The first theme is, what food do you thing of immediately when you hear the word of autumn?
The second theme is, do you have any food you tasted first for these five years?
The last theme is , what food would you like to serve when a foreigner guest stays with you, and the foreigner comes to Japan for the first time?

Some members made a speech about the themes.
I'll write my speech.
About the first theme, it's vine of sweet potatoes. Because this year I knew and ate for the first time vine of sweet potatoes.
About the second theme, it's rhubarb, this year I planted some rhubarbs, and got delicious jam.
About the third theme, actually I'm going to have two guests from Mongolia next moth, I'll take them to eat GYOZA (pot stickers) and cook OKONOMIYAKI for them.

I'd like to hear your comments. What do you think of them?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Food and seasons are wonderful themes for a table topics because audience are familiar with the subject. Food is something close to everyone's heart.

There are more than 50 ways to conduct a Table Topics Sessions. Discover the ways of a Table Topics master and how to answer Table Topics questions at http://www.toastmasters-tabletopics.com

Anonymous said...

How interesting that you will have visitors from Mongolia! I did not think they were "world travelers!" Are they in your city to visit the Honda facilities? I think preparing OKONOMIYAKI is perfect because it is not so "strange" to foreign taste buds and it is something that is not found in Japanese restaurants (at least in the US.) Jan

Anonymous said...

When I think of autumn food, in America I think of pumpkin pie. (If it's early autumn, then apple pie or apple cider; lots of the northern states grow apples and anything made out of apples seems right for this season.

A food that I only recently tasted but really like is Thai red curry. I used to only eat Indian curry. Now I like Thai curry better.

A Japanese food I'd like to eat in the autumn (which I haven't seen in the USA) is ochawanmushi. お茶碗蒸し

For the autumn or winter, any nabe なべ dish would be nice, too.

Anonymous said...

To Sam
Thanks for you information.

To Jan
You seeme like OKONOMIYAKI the best among Japanese food. Actualy it is the typical food for the masses. On the other hand SUSHI and TEMPURA are the food for the classes or at restaurant. ( Of coures TEMPURA cooked at home is also delicious.)

To mss@zanthan gardens
CHAWANMUSHI is a really populer food. I love them. (and probably I cook them well.) AND, you might hear strange, we say O-chawan, but usualy we say chawan-mushi.
Why? I'm sorry, I don't know. I'm not familier with Japanese grammer.

Anonymous said...

I do like Tempura, as well. I occasionally make it at home but find it best when you can cook it right at the table and that is difficult here in the US. We don't have the same equipment.
Many Americans do not like Sushi because of the raw fish, but if they have traveled in Asian countries they are more enthused.
Can anyone explain what CHAWANMUSHI is?

Anonymous said...

Here is CHAWANMSHI
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chawanmushi

Anonymous said...

Chawanmushi (茶碗蒸し,Chawanmushi, literally "tea cup steam" or "steamed in a tea bowl") is an egg custard dish found in Japan that uses the seeds of ginkgo.


Thank you for the reference.

Anonymous said...

"gingo", yes usualy we put a seed of gingo in CHAWANMUSHI, but probably most kids don't like them. So I don't put the seeds in my daughter's one.

Now it is the season of seeds of GINGO. I love them. I grill them with Japanese leek with soy sauce.
Yummy!