Saturday, February 21, 2009

Souvenirs from Asai

I'm not a gourmet, I'm not good at cooking, but I'm interested in foods, dishes, and containers. Last year I found an interesting book, the title is "lunch in the world". The title is including "lunch", but the book also mentions about " lunch box".
Especially lunch boxes in Asia are interesting.
And now one lunch box is in front of me. My husband went to Asia countries on his business, and he bought me this one.




On the other hand, he bought some spices ,probably, for him. Because I'm not good at something hot. On the hand he loves something hot.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lunch boxes in America are traditionally just a metal/plastic container that latches shut. Unlike Japan, children here usually have sandwiches, a piece of fruit, chips, cookies, etc. for lunch...all wrapped individually and cold. Perhaps in cold climates, they would also have a small thermos of hot soup or hot cocoa in the lunch box. Gradually, lunch boxes have been replaced with paper sacks that you throw away at school. However, most schools have a cafeteria where hot foods are prepared and served for a modest cost. The menu is published in advance and you can choose to eat the lunch at school or bring your own. A lunch box like you show in your photo takes up a lot of space...where do students or workers store it when they take it from home?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comments.

I know, because my daughters and I have ever stayted in America for 20 dayts. During our saying my daughters was able to go to elementary school almost every day. I sometimes went with them as a volunteer.

The custome about lunch is completely differnt. My image of lunch in American is kind of "snack". For some kids one apple or one banana and some cookies are enough.
Now in Japan we look the same situation.

This lunchbox comes from Malaysia.
This lunch box is traditional shaped lunchbox.
I know, it is too big. But whem time current was calm and slow, workes used to went for work hanging this lunchbox with their hands. (at that time it was not made of stainless)
And even at that time they seemd to take curry or something as lunch.