Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Gulliver's Travels

Have you read the book of Gulliver's Travels? I know the story (but today I knew, it was one of the stories), so probably I read the abridged version for kids in Japanese when I was a child.
Today at our meeting of intensive reading English picture books, we read Gulliver's Travels in English though it was also the abridged version (penguin readers), and talked about the stories.

In the book there are three stories; A Journey to Lilliput (at a small people country), Gulliver in Brobdingnag (at a huge people country), and Gulliver in the Country of the Houyhnhums ( at a horse country instead of people). Unfortunately the story about a country in the sky is skipped, and I don't know in the story the author wrote about Japan and "Japan" is the only one real country in the story, I'm going to read the story some time soon in-- probably Japanese)

The Last story was fun, it was about "horses", the last month we read "Black Beauty". Horses seem to be special thing for American and England People, actually I felt that in Aiken this spring.

Well, through three stories I thought three words in my mind, they are "discrimination","IJIME", "ignorance".
"Discrimination" is not bad, I know. But wee usually live or associate with people who have the same feeling with ourselves unconsciously, sometimes we discriminate others ."Discrimination" is here and there. I want to have capacity to accept various people, though whether they and I will become friends or not is another thing. Begin compatible and with no distinction are different.
(Does this sentence make sense?)

"IJIME", these days in Japan this thing makes a big problem at school , workplace. Probably "IJIME" is translated to "bullying" in English. BUT these days "IJIME" has a little bit different nuance, so in some reports in English I've seen the new word "IJIME".
A woman said, "when people speak ill of someone about the things he or she never change, age, sex(these days it can be changed), height, weight (it can be changed), family background, appearance, and the person us deeply hurt, it is "IJIME"."
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/shukan-st/english_news/essay/2009/ey20090605/ey20090605main.htm?print=noframe

And the last word I thought in the mind was "ignorance".
It is an ironic proverb, I know. "Ignorance and incuriosity are two very soft pillows."
But these days I sometimes think because of getting old, ignorance would make my life calm.
When I face to another world, I'm afraid of the world, I envy the world, and I sometimes discriminate the people in the world.

Does this make sense so far? Even in Japanese it's a little difficult to settle what I thought in my mind.

No comments: