Thursday, July 02, 2009

late bloomer

At a meeting, a lady asked a question to us.
"How old will your children be when you say "our kids will grow up", or when you imagine the future of your kids?"
And she continued, "Probably when they will enter the university, they will be 20, or they will graduate the university. Until then you (parents) will have been worried about your kids a lot, but if you imagine the future of their 50's, most of worried things might be tiny things for you."

Most of them nodded (in agreement), except me.
I understand what she wants to say, --- don't seek a conclusion quickly.
If on today's test she or he gets a bad score, it's not a big thing.

Most of members are younger than I (some members are as old as I), and their kids are in the kindergarten, elementary school or junior high school. I'm the one whose kids are in the university.

And now, I know "she" : means my elder daughter, is struggling to manage her way the most, and if I think about her life, it might be the first hardest situation. Sometimes she got bad scores, but she could manage her life without big troubles. She failed the entrance examination for the art college, but the college where she goes now is not so bad. (It means decent level, and modestly famous).

(On the other hand in my younger daughter's case, she was provided ambulance service twice, I was called from school sometimes because of her bad scores , and after that of course we had big quarrels, and ---)

But I sigh now, she is going to graduate the college, but --- . Is it "my" result to bring her up or spend our (including my husband) energy (including money) on her education? I know, it is too fast to seek the conclusion. She might be late bloomer. But for her future I think she is standing at an important point. Without thinking now I can't imagine the time when she reaches to her 50's.

Probably I must seek stabiliby too much.And even now I can't imagine when I reaches to my 50's. On a different meaning I'm struggling in my life.
The proverb says, Great talents mature late., I know, but it is necessary to add some words. Great talents mature late while you are seeking, learning, and acting.



Well, this weekend is TANABATA. I use the paper on which we write our wish as the sheet for word test of Junior high school students. And they hang them on the "tree" in front of the entrance hall, instead of SASA tree which I prepared for TANABATA.


My junior high school students are really sassy these days, but -- they are still kids.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand what you are saying. At the time, little things seem so important...getting an "A" grade in class, or getting into a club at school...all these cause a lot of stress and worry. But 10 years later it seems so unimportant. When you graduate, in most cases it doesn't matter if you got an "A"..just that you graduated. An employer doesn't make a decision to hire you based on "A" or "B" grades. What club (sorority) you belonged to means nothing in your life's work. But we see those things in later years, looking back with maturity.

Anonymous said...

When I get in my 60's, what will I think this situation? It's intereseting. So life is intereseting--- but now, I'm struggling this situation.
Thanks for your comment.
"maturity" has deep meaning, doesn't it?