Monday, November 09, 2009

book 2



Did I tell you? I organized and attend a meeting of intensive reading once a month.


This month, the book is "London".


Well, Well, I have some questions, though I can research them on the Internet, but I need quick, instant and easy answers.





1. about London Bridge


The first London Bridge was wood, and a new stone London bridge was build in 1209.


On the other hand, in 1013 when the Vikings were on the bridge, Olaf's men pulled London Bridge down, and the bridge and the Viking fell into the river. So the song was born. Well, from 1013 to 1209, how was the London bridge???? Was instantly new wooden London Bridge built?





2. about shops


What are the most popular goods now and what were the first goods when they started in the two shops, at Fortnum & Mason, and Harrods?





3. please give 5 interesting sentences about Queen Elizabeth the second








Well, in this book there is an interesting question.
"You are going to London for tow days. What do you want to see and do?"
In my family, my elder daughter and Yuki has been to London. She went to lots of Museums.
And she recommends Korean restaurants were wonderful!!
Yuki went to London on business, so he had enough time for sight seeing. He recommends to go to Indian restaurants.
But I want to go pottery shops. Unfortunately no one and nowhere in this book tell me the shops including Wedge wood.

One of my student moved to England with his family. Sometimes his mother e-mails to me. She loves England life, especially nature.

Tim sent an interesting report with photos connected with Harry Potter.

So the image that I have about London is; curry, tea, tableware, castles, roses, and Harry Potter.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personally, I cannot imagine going to London to eat Korean or Indian food! That is like going to Japan and eating McDonald's. Why would anyone bother to travel to another culture to eat what they can eat at home...or not experience the traditonal foods of the country?

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your "personal" comments. I know your feeling.
Of course I'll try traditional food in England.

BUT, I hear England curry is really delicious. Because of the long relationship of England and India, curry is a kind of traditional dish in England.

And -- for my family, spicy food is intereseting. When you come to Japan, you have to taste Japanese curry, and Japanese YAKINIKU.

The oridign of curry and YAKIHINU is India and Korea. But now it is world food, isn't it?

Well, Well, you mentioned McDonald.
It is probably intereseting for you to eat something at McDonald in Japan. Probably you notice "Oh, this is Japanese McDonald".

I love to taste traditional food, and I also love to taste world populrer food.

Nana said...

"That is like going to Japan and eating McDonald's.," <---- which i do that last time when i went to Japan.. *laughed*

Nevertheless,I managed to find good sushi restaurant somehow.. xDD

However,its true that you should dive into some local cuisine when you visited that country.. Maybe chicken cordon bleu or escargot..? xDD

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mieko said...

Najawa, how was the taste of McDonald in Japan?
And Did you go to KAITEN-SUSHI shops?

Nana said...

ahh~~ I have to say...
mcDonald surely taste the same anywhere in the world.. (@___@)

Even in my place,singapore,australia and etc.. haha..

hurm~~ KAITEN-SUSHI..? Im not sure.. Everytime i went to the sushi restaurant,I didnt bother to read the shop's banner.. I couldnt read kanji too~~ (T^T)

Anonymous said...

Was everything the same size in your country?

mss @ Zanthan Gardens said...

@Anonymous My husband is English and he considers curry to be the national dish there--it's more popular there than fish and chips. When we visit England, we have both. Curry is as English as Mexican food in Texas.

@Mieko Interesting that you mention Harry Potter. I enjoy trying to read Harry Potter translated into Japanese. I usually have to read it side-by-side with the English version. The Japanese translation is very good. One year I ordered the "book on tape" version from Amazon.jp. I love listening to the Japanese voice actor read Harry Potter. He used different voices for each character and I try to follow along in my copy of the book. It's good practice for me.

Anonymous said...

To mss@Zanthatn Garden
Yesterday, it was really really cold, so suddenly all vegetables in my small garden frozened and have gone.
Did you copy Harry Potter in Japanese?? SUGOI!!! super. I sometimes do it using English picture books, but -- OK I try shawdoing this book of LONDON, though it is readed in Queen's English.