Monday, January 31, 2011

Feburary is just around the corner.

Today, it is the last day of January. Though it is usual cliche, it's true "Time flies like an arrow". I thought a few minutes ago new year's day finished, and now the door to February is going to open.


Yesterday I checked what Yuki bought for me(?) or for our pleasure.

Did I tell you? Last week he went to Indonesia on business trip.

These are not so difficult to understand them. Because recipe was written on the back in English -- though he didn't read it except one.

The one is BAKUTEN, that is his favorite. It is the second time to buy this kind of thing. I haven't eaten real BAKUTEN, I've made it using like this according to the recipe once. And Yuki seemed to like it. On the other hand, I don't like it so much.

And other things are spice for fried rice, curry(pork and chicken) and mutton soup. Here in JAPAN, we don't use mutton. How do I use the spice? Is it OK usis@icng blocks of pork instead of mutton?
Well, the difficult things are these bags which signs are written only in Indonesian.
Fortunately I can read English, so I translated the words from Indonesian into English, and from English into Japanese.
To say the conclusion first, they were "usual" spice except one.
The unusual one thing was "Giant Angkak". Do you know it? It is "red yeast rice". It seems to easy to use it.Before we can cook rice, put some with rice. And the color seems to turn red. It is curious.
And other things are --
Giant Kunyit Bubuk -- wild turmeric. We have it. And I know the difference between wild turmeric (In Japanese UKON) and turmeric.

Giant Bubuk Cabe -- chill pepper. But the color is not so bright red.
Giant Lada Hitam Bubuk ---black pepper
Giant Adas Manis Bubuk --Anis, to tell the truth I don't know it. It seems to make the curry taste better.
That's it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting that each has the name "Giant" at the beginning..perhaps this is the company that makes the spices? Anise is a liquorice taste..I remember you don't like that taste. Red yeast rice is considered a very healthy food for hot flashes for women going through menopause. Did Yuki like Indonesia? How far is it from Japan? Jan

Helen said...

I'm not a big fan of mutton personally, but I would think if you used the spice on pork you would probably have to use a lot less. Mutton has quite a strong smell and flavour, pork not so much.

I'm not really sure though. Maybe ask someone who eats mutton?

Mieko said...

Jan, is it really that Anis taste is like a liquorice taste? --- I have to rethink whether I will use or not. But probably it's ok to use it with other spieces. I'm an "advententurous" person. And at least I'll be able to enjoy cooking, and Yuki or my neibor will be able to enjoy tasting.

Mieko said...

Helen, thank for your advice. Yes, you're right. Probably once I have had mutton in HOKKAIDOU long time ago. I don't remember the taste. OK, I'll take care of the amount of the powder. Unfortunatly around me noone have cooked mutton.

Anonymous said...

Mutton is considered "adult" sheep and has a strong taste...therefore not very popular. However, almost all meat from sheep is lamb or young sheep and you rarely get that strong, objectionable taste. Perhaps in poor areas of the world, mutton is still eaten but not in most countries.
The closest thing to a strong mutton taste would probably be wild game, such as deer, boar, elk, etc.

Mieko said...

I've eaten wild boar when I stayed in a in (or cottage) in a mountain.
It was --- probably tasty.