Monday, March 07, 2011

Leaves of ice plant


Have you ever heard of ice plants? Or are they familiar in your country? The leaves look like slimy, and actually the texture was slimy.
For me it was first time to cook.
Yesterday Yuki went to play golf. On the way home he dropped by a farmer's shop and bought some kinds of green vegetables, such as ice plant, salad-leaves, Shyungiku (kind of spinach), and so on.
So I cooked some of them. Fresh vegetables are really tasty, and some of them suit to tempura.
I made ice-leaf tempura, and GOBOU tempura seasoned with that Cajun spice. And I sauteed scallops and Syungiku with MISO paste. When we eat them, we rolled them with salad-leaves.






4 comments:

Helen said...

Mieko, we just tried the Ice plant about 3 weeks ago! I liked it, we just washed it and put it in with our regular salad. It was supposed to be from South Africa, but I don't remember having any when I lived there many many years ago. It might be a newish plant!

I like tempura, but I'm afraid to make it as I don't know how. When my husband made it once, the whole kitchen was covered in oil so I was quite angry with him! Nowadays, we go out for tempura!!!

Mieko said...

Thanks Helen, I often get angry when Yuki cookes (but he seldome cook). Because -- it is the same reason as yours. I get angry so he doesn't cook, or he isn't used to cooking so the kicthen is mess. I don't know which is right.
Anway onemore try to cook Tempura by yourself. Though we use lots of oil, it's not so difficult. Just you should take care of temperature of oil.

Anonymous said...

I think it's easier to have tempura in a restaurant! I've also tried it but it's a constant "tending" to the oil, very messy if you try several vegetables at once, and the cook never gets to eat! Jan

Mieko said...

Jan, thanks for your omments. I understand your feeling. Probably there is difference between our feeling that the kicthen is oily and yours.
And actaully cooking many kinds of tempura and much tempura at house is troublesome. We "have to eat" tempura while they are "hot".

But sometimes it's difficult to meet unpompular vegetables tempura at a restaurant.

When I go to your house next time, I'll cook tempura ---- but please never say "Oh, the kitch is too oily".