Sunday, March 20, 2011

Sunday

This week we have three-day weekends. And it is called "SYUNBUN no hi". Many people visit their graves. But unfortunately now we are under lack of gasoline, so some people seem not to do.

On the other hand, thought tomorrow it is a holiday, Yuki has to go to office to make a schedule how to recover the workplace. -- So we lined to get gasoline.
He often called a gas station, and as soon as he got information that gasoline comes in we went there. So we were waiting just 30 minutes. Lucky us. He will pick up a colleague and go to the office. For a while they are going to carpool.

At noon we walk to a big supermarket. It takes 25 minutes on foot. It was the first time for us to walk there tog here, and it was "unusual" thing. Though we don't know usual scene, we saw many people walking or riding. And we thought there were fewer car than usual.
Here it is about 150 far from the nuclear power plant, so we are not afraid of going out. (Though I'm allergic to pollen , so I put on a hat and a mask.)


Now I'm thinking what can I do for this situation. Of course I'm willing to collect contribute. On the other hand, here some students have to stay home alone during their parents are at work and probably they are unstable. Next week is my spring vacation, my schedule of going to TOKYO is canceled. So I have nothing special to do except cleaning. So I'll open "this house".

If some kids in the neighborhood are interested in English picture books, they can come in this house, if my students want to study here (not only English) they can use this classroom. So I'll be putting this sign in front of the house next week --- "English picture book gallery".

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It will be interesting to see if the students will take advantage of your "open house" next week. Maybe you could telephone the list of students and tell them about it (otherwise how will they...or their parents... know?).

Mieko said...

Thanks for your comments.
You are right. I have another blog of reporting my class room. So I'll write the same thing on it. If noboday doesn't come, it's OK. Anyway I'm thinking what I can do in the house.

mss @ nipponDAZE said...

Thinking of you, Mieko. Glad to hear that you are doing all right even though things aren't exactly normal and there are many inconveniences.

Tarrah08 said...

Wow! A 25 minute walk.. is quite a long walk! Was that 25 minutes each way? It's a great idea for your open house, since gasoline is scarce at the moment, it offers your friends and neighbors a nice diversion from the current situation, a pleasant afternoon reading or enjoying company with others. Best wishes for many visitors Mieko! :)

Mieko said...

Long time no heare you... mss@nipponDAZE. I forgot your gardening blog, please let me know it.
Actaully this rolling blackouts makes us incovenient, but it can't be helped.
Anyway I'm relieved to hear that this lack of gasoline and carecene will being solved in this week.

Mieko said...

Thanks Tarrah
Probably this idea is good, but I'm not good at advertising and for these two days it is raining, so I can't put the sign board outside --just put it under the roof.
Anyway one woman called me about picture books, and one neighbor dropped by saying "if many people come, I'll bake cake".

Making company is difficult.

mss @ Zanthan Gardens said...

Yes. お久しぶりですね。My interests go in circles. For awhile I was updating my Japanese blog and then my interest went back to my gardening blog. (Zanthan Gardens).

Lately, because of my health and other issues (like weather, lack of time), I haven't been doing much gardening or garden writing. I've been trying to spend less time on the Internet so that I could get some personal projects done.

Of course with the events in Japan, I've had to check in with all my old blog friends there. I wish there was something more I could do. Take care. Stay strong.

Mieko said...

Thanks Ms.Steven
I could link your blog.
I hope you are not in a bad shape.
And I'm happy you remember JAPANESE.
When you were updateing your NIPPONDAZE blog, everyboday really liked it, so many people (you fan) must be very happy when they got your comment like me. Please keep in touch with us.