Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Swiss Chard

Today's green salad is "Swiss chard" salad. Have you ever eaten it? For us it was the first time. The taste is like -- rural spinach. It sees to easy to plant it. I found one reason to look around garden centers nearby. Some people might be afraid of radiation. But Yuki and I don't mind. According to an economic writer, this earthquake is "the third defeat in war". The first one is "Satsuei war" in 1863. After this war we had MEIJI-ICSHIN that opened Japan to the world. The second one is "TAIHEIYOU war" in 1945. After this war we became an modern nation. So he said it is a chance to make Japan more improved. I don't know the two wars. And the third war he calls is not actual "war". If we dare to say, it is a war of human vs energy. This time, I really know it, we have no natural fuel in Japan. Where do we go? What can I do? Should I do anything not only to enjoy my life?What should I do through teaching English to kids?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Swiss chard is usually a cool weather vegetable and even grown for "ornamental" plantings in the winter months. I will send you a good recipe using chard.
The comment about the wars is very thought-provoking and puts a positive look to a terrible crisis. I was surprised to learn when I first visited Japan that many people think the Occupation after WWII was a good thing for Japan (in the overall picture), like the writer says. Jan

Mieko said...

You are actaully "my" Jan. I thought Swiss chard was all-season vegetable. And I know it's a winter vegetables in Japan like spinach. Anyway for us it's a fresh taste. It is added on my favortie vegetable list like rubarb.