Saturday, May 07, 2011

the day before "Mother's day"




I had only two classes before "Mother's day", it was yesterday. The students were one elementary school student, and three junior high school students. I told them to list some words showing their thanks to her mother .


It seemed to be natural for the elementary school student who was 10 years old, she checked her dictionary, and my picture books.



The words were kind, nice, smart, funny, comfy, strong, gentle, great.




For Junior high school students who were in the first grade, it seemed to be difficult to find "suitable words" to their mother.


Anyway they listed up including some true or negative words, and some flattering words.


kind, gentle, nice, funny, charming, cute, thin, beautiful, noisy, strict, serious, talkative, smart, tired, stingy.




What do you think of them?




This morning I talked about these words with Yuki, and I asked him whether he could list more than 15 positive words about me. He said "yes", though I doubted his answer. Anyway I stopped pursing because I couldn't do that about Yuki.


What we agree with was "our" culture doesn't get used to bring up each other.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What words would you describe your mother? What words do you think your daughters would use to describe their mother?
This is probably a good exercise for many important people in our lives at various times throughout our years to perhaps "stay on the path" of the person we want to be...or question being with people we can only find negative things to describe them.
Once a teacher had us write our own obituary, which was a very thoughtful exercise. When we die, how do we want to be remembered by others. And, are we working toward that? Jan

Mieko said...

To my mother
great, nice, kind, patient, optimistic,strong,talkative, funny, gentle, coltish, comfy, and selfish, bossy, noisy, and like a queen.

I am
smart, thin, kind, talktative, gentle, serious, straight, funny, accommodating, outgoing, and strict, punctual, sloppy, weak, lonely.

What do you think of them?

Anonymous said...

I love how you describe your mother as "coltish"...it's perfect! I would add generous and also direct (remember how she asked me how old I am within the first minute of meeting her?).
I would add to your list...curious, focused, disciplined, passive, observing. Jan

Mieko said...

Thanks Jan, yes I forgot to add a word "direct". Everybody knows she is direct, though she got decent women's education.

And probably it is not so many peopple in Japan to use a word "passive" to discribe me. So you are my big sister. And actaully I'm passive attitude toward my health condition.