Friday, August 26, 2011

Licolis and Taiwanese food

The picture on the left is called (probably) iron eggs There are two types, bigger one is usual eggs, and this one is quail's eggs. We boguht this  bag of quail's iron eggs in Taiwan. It is one of local Taiwanese food.
There is instruction on the back of the bag. I'll introduce it, though I don't know the sentences are right or not. (Because the instruction is also written in Japanese, but some sentences are wrong.)
"These eggs are a delicacy in Taiwan. They are marinaded and simmered in a rice broth loaded with spices, then place in an oven to bake and lock in their flavor. The delicious snacks are hermetically sealed in a vacuum package to ensure their freshness."

And the picture on the right is licorice bars one of my students bought for us as a souvenir. Can you guess why  I put these pictures together. Because the taste of the outside of the eggs, and licorice bars  are the same.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was interesting! I remember you do not like liquorice but I love the taste. The best is from Australia, called Kookaburra. The one you showed is a poor imitation of the "real" thing...like some of the soy sauce you saw in our American grocery store! The "annis" taste of liqorice (and probably the "eggs") is from a root found in the woods and is also used in a popular Italian liquor. Jan

Mieko said...

Thanks for your comments Jan. I read it while laughing. Yes she (one of my students, you know her) bought it at a supermarket.