Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Chores

Today it was the first lesson for adults in 2012. The topic in the morning was "chores". Before lesson I served them. They are not books, they are chocolates.

What chores do you hate doing? Her answer was ironing. Me neither.  However she is a good wife, at least she ironed her husband shirts once a week. I seldom do that. Let me tell the excuse. My husband usually wears polo-shirt, So I don't often need to iron things.

How have chores since your parents' time? I think washing clothes is easier. Even though they had the washing machines, the procedure was more complicated than now. On the other hand, now we are surrounded by many home appliances, such as a fridge, a microwave, a toaster oven, an electronic kettle, etc. So we often dust or wipe them out.

Well, what kind of stove do you use? Do you use electronic stove or gas stove? I use gas stove. So I often not only wipe out the stove top, but also wash stove burner grates. How do you wash them? I sometimes wash them with baking soda. Do you use baking soda not only to bake cookies?

6 comments:

Helen said...

I've never baked cookies for my husband! Never made any in Japan.

We have a gas stove. I usually don't clean it much as I don't mess it up! My husband lets his ramen boil over so he gets to clean it sometimes!

I use baking soda for many things. I use it to wipe out my fridge, and in Canada we'd usually put a box of baking soda in the fridge to absorb bad smells. I use it as a mild cleanser...when I want to clean my favourite mug, I use it to get the tea stains off.

I hate ironing too...my husband does his own! He's never asked me to do it. Maybe because we were both in our late 30's when we got married, he had to do it for himself for a long time?? Anyway, I'm happy about that!

Mieko said...

When I met my husband, we were students. So probably I've baked cookies or sweets for my husband (at that time he was my boy friend.)

I agree that using baking soda as a cleanser is good. I put chacole in the fridge to absorb bad smells.

Anonymous said...

I learned about charcoal's odor-absorbing properties when I was in Japan so brought some home with me. I keep some on the stove but also some in our soiled clothes hampers.
I guess I'm a "real" housewife! I bake and cook, iron our clothes, clean the house, etc. etc. But, I enjoy baking and cooking, I want us both to look "ironed" and a clean, organized house is important to me so to do all those things is my choice and I don't feel burdened by them. Even though we have a large home, it really doesn't take a lot of time. I probably spend the most time in the kitchen but it is one of my joys because I am always experimenting and creating. Luckily, my husband likes to eat what I cook! Jan

Mieko said...

Jan, I've never seen a positive "housewife" like you. I miss you, your cooking and your house.I know your house is large and organized, on the other hand you are really skillful to easy to organize your house.

Anonymous said...

I don't mind ironing and do all the ironing for the whole family (4 people), it doesn't bother me, i just listen to radio or music while ironing or watch tv at the same time and so multitasking isn't so boring..lol...and now i'm so quick at it that i have finished it before long !i couldn't stand unironed clothes anyway.... and i'm the quickest at it in the family so i do it..lol...
I love cooking and baking too and living in France, i must say that French people enjoy and know their food !..lol....I also enjoy most of all tablescaping and enjoy setting original and pretty tables for any occasion or no occasion at all..I love setting new tablescapes every week and creating things to put onto my tables, it's a passion i've had for ages and my family loves discovering a new decor evey weekend and enjoying it. I love being busy in the house and being active and am happy this way... and when i don't tablescape or do the chores, i teach from home or read or paint or make things.I'm an overactive bulimic i'm afraid..lol...
enjoying reading your diary/blog i've jsut discovered.
dom

Mieko said...

Are you good at irononig? I really admire you. If I were good at ironing I would like it more. And I'm also a sweet bulimic. (I leanrt the word "bulimic" this time, Thank you.)