Thursday, February 09, 2012

Who is the harderst person for you to buy a gift for?

Yesterday a adult student and I talked about presents.
What types of gifts do you like to give or receive?
---  Both of us answered immediately like that "foods".  And I also like to get  flowers. But she said " the moment I got is happy, but it's not easy to take care of them.". Maybe partly it's true. If you often travel and be away from home for a few days a lot, it's difficult to take care of them.

The other day Yuki won the third prise at a golf game, and he came back with a trophy. He looked happy, and of course I'm glad to hear that. But I don't need more trophies, (he puts the trophy on the shlef in the living room, not in his room.)


On the other hand two weeks ago he came with beef that he got as a prize for participation. That night we had a good meal.

Additionally, since it became February I got three kinds of sweets. It's difficult to eat all of them with Yuki and me, so I'm sharing with neighbors and students. Sharing something makes me happy.



I'm happy to have students, because if I didn't have students, it would be difficult to share foods. So the hardest person for me to buy a gift for is my mother and my mother in-law. I know, both of them are really interested in foods, but each of them live alone, so it's difficult to eat out.  Some people keep them as frozen foods, but both of them don't like frozen food, because they are people in the period when they didn't use the microwave oven. But I often present some foods saying "it's OK not to eat all of them, please dispose it after you taste it." Of course I'll try to present small portion as much as I can.



11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy giving food as a present too ! I love baking things or making chocolates and then, presenting them in a nice basket,artistically (or trying to..lol..) displaying the different kinds of food, both bought or home made and i like to add a small home made crafted thing in the basket .I then wrap up the filled basket with transparent foil adn add ribbons and it makes a nice personnalized present. You can fill all sorts of wicker baskets with the food you know people like most. For xmas, in france, we usually offer tinned foie gras, wine, jams and nice specialities from our regions. This xmas, i had decorated bottles of good wine with the photos of the kids and printed millesime 2012/Xmas 2012 and decorated the bottle with a sprig of fir tree and a red xmas decoration hanging from the top. I also love receiving food because it shows that the people who offer this food care for you and like you ! Receiving food is like receiving love through bits of food !
Have a good day. Just sent you a mail and also three mails with photos.
dom
ps : i also share lots of food with my pupils..lol... they often eat my chocolates or biscuits..lol...for xmas and easter, i always give each pupil
chocolates as a gift or a small crafted thing i've made.giving makes you happy and for the pupils, it's an incentive to improve their skills and work harder !

Helen said...

To answer your title's question, my BIL is the hardest person to buy a gift for! He's very smart, and a bit of a snob, so I can't buy usual things like a tie or a book. I would send him some Japanese clothes, but he's very big, so the clothes wouldn't fit. It's difficult to send food in the mail and the stuff that I can send, my sister asked not to send over. (She said no junk food...so I can't send cool Japanese snacks.) At Christmas time I always have a hard time finding something he might like.

Mieko said...

Dom, thanks for your comments. These days in Japan wrapping presents by ourseleves are becoming popular, though I'm not good at it.Though you mentioned Easter, in France do you adults clebrate Easter ?

Mieko said...

Helen, thanks for your comments. I'm really surprised to hear that you send something to your brother in-law. I've never sent my sisters in-law personally, though I send OSIEBO (year-end gift) and OCHUGEN(summer gift) to my brothers' "family". Usually in summer we send Japanese pears which are local products in TOCHIGI, and in winter I send strawberries which are also our local products.

Helen said...

My sister and I exchange Christmas and birthday presents, and I send to her children as well. I don't sent my brother in law birthday presents, but I do send something at Christmas. They are very generous to my husband, so it's only fair. BIL is a great guy, so I don't mind, it is just difficult to find something he'd like.

Mieko said...

I always think that if I had sisters, my life would be more fun.
I have two younger brothers. Since they became adults, I haven't give any presents personally. When I called them, we just have a short talk, though we have a good relation ship between my family and their families.

Anonymous said...

To answer your question , Mieko, well, of course Easter in france is for children and they go egg hunting in the gardens but in my family, we celebrate Easter and i display a nice Easter tablescaping and we eat on this p^retty table, have chocolates and a typical Easter meal : roast of lamb and easter nest pastries.
dom

Mieko said...

Dom, thanks for your reply. I'm looking forward to seeing "easter nest pastries".

Anonymous said...

i'm afraid you'll have to wait for a few months until Easter !..lol..
Just been back from a museum in Paris, we went to see the exhibition about Cezanne's paintings. This was very disappointing because the exhibition was quite smaller than expected so we did it in less than half an hour (and usually i stay for a long time as i'm a big fan of painters) and these weren't really Cezanne's best paintings... But it was still worth seeing it because we could have access at several paintings that were only shown at this exhibition and mostly came from the States so we would never have had the opportunity of seeing them otherwise...I bought a few cards to send and a book of the exhibition to keep, i love cezanne's still lives and his landscapes...
Have a good sunday. And you ? how did you spend your sunday ?
dom

Mieko said...

Cezanne is a world famous painter, espeically he was good at drawing still lives, wasn't he? I like his paintings too.

Anonymous said...

yes, he's a fabulous painter !one of the painters i admire like MOnet and some others.
Have a good day !
dom