Monday, March 12, 2012

"That" day and my mother's birthday

On March 11, at that time I was alone and preparing for my lessons. Suddenly a small quake started. I thought it was a usual thing, but it got bigger and bigger while many things in the house started to drop off out of the shelves. Two windows of the sun room also dropped off into the ground.
After the earthquake, this area lost power. The blackout lasted about 24 hours. I spent the night without heater. It was a very cold night. But anyway I was alive, I had a blanket, and I had some food.
In the after noon on the next day, I could watch TV, and knew what happened in TOHOKU.

One year has passed. Even now people in TOHOKU are under a difficult situation. Many people might be under stress. I hope everybody in Japan (not only Japan but also in the world) regain their good spirits.

And on march 11, it is a special day in another meaning for my family. It is my mother's birthday. This year she became 77 years old. We call the birthday of  becoming 77 years KIJYU. Though we wondered whether we might celebrate her birthday on the same date when the earthquake occurred last year, we decided to celebrate her special birthday with my family and my brother's family.
It's a good opportunity to rethink about the bondage of our family.

So last Sunday Yuki and I went to Harajuku in Tokyo. Of course my daughters, my brother's family joined us. We had a big feast at a popular Chinese restaurant.


 We had a good time. --- And now I'm on diet.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mieko, We were on our way back from our cruise and staying with friends in Florida when news of the earthquake came over the TV. I said, "Oh, they have earthquakes all the time in Japan." but this really was a significant one for you this time! Jan

Mieko said...

While the ground and house was shaking, what I could do was just sitting in the room. I was not scared because I didn't know what was happening, just surrprised at the situation. If we should have such a earthquake again, I would cry out.

Jan, did you take a good rest? did the dust settle yet?

Helen said...

I was in Tohoku of course, but the other side. Our power didn't go out, but our internet did. (I heard the next city, Sakata lost power/electricity though.) It was pretty scary. Nothing fell off my shelves at all.

It's interesting that your mother's birthday is March 11. My mother's birthday was September 11....she died before the World Trade Centre event.

Mieko said...

Helen, thanks for your comment. Yes your area was not damaged because of the mountains.
On the other hand how about snow in this year? I hear you have much snow than usual.

And, what a coincidence!
I hope my mother will be alive with joy as much as she can .