Friday, May 11, 2012

in Aiken about "Japanese food" (food 5)

Have you ever been to a restaurant which serve Japanese food in your country, if you don't live in Japan?
It was the first time to go to such a restaurant.
The first casual restaurant was TAKOSUSHI, probably it means TAKO (octopus) & SUSHI.



I was very surprised, why "EDAMAME"? Is it a typical Japanese food?????
I tried it, actually it's EDAMAME, but unfortunately it's not so crispy. I think now it is out of season for EDAMAME, or they use frozen EDAMEM.
I checked Sushi counter, not so bad,but it's expensive.
Yuki ordered a pair of Salmon, not so bad. They use Japonica rice, which is sticky.

The other day Jan took me another restaurant, which is called "Red Bowl", which means probably Miso-soup bowl.
Jan ordered Thaie-noodel, but it's actually "Yakisoba" in Japan. Not so bad.

I ordered Sesame-Toufu. Hmmmmmmm, actually it's sauteed Tofu with sesame, not so bad, but---- I think it's not a Japanese food, it's a kind of Chinese food. And the person who cook these dishes are not Japanese, a shop man said "Though he is an Asian, and probably he doesn' know Japanese food."

The taste was not bad, though a little bit thick for me.
And, anyway everything was served on "one" dish. Usually we serve rice in a rice bowl, and Tofu on another plate.
Anyway I'll show you Japanese sesame tofu.


I thought it must have been crazy to eat Japanese food in a foreign country, but it was fun to eat original domestic Japanese food in a foreign country.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mieko, The reason for the name of the restaurant is because the other half of the menu is MEXICAN! So, it's a combination of "taco" and "shushi." The first time I ate there I asked about the very unusual combination and was told the owner loves both types of food and when he was considering starting a restaurant he couldn't decide which one, so decided to do both. Jan

Mieko said...

Thanks Jan. I got it. The menu of "red bowl" got a big hit among students. Everyboday laughs when I show the picture of sesame touf, but boy students say "it's more delicsou than Japanese sesame touf." American sesame tofu seemes to suit to energetic boys.