Saturday, May 12, 2012

in Aiken about nature

Aiken isn't a big city, but full of nature. Many people play golf, and ride a horse. So there are roads for horses.(It is really unusual.)


What are the typical birds in your country? Probably here in Japan, sparrows, crows, doves and swallows in spring (Actually a family of swallows make a nest on the ceiling in my garage.)

Here in Aicen, herming birds, peccorwoods, and red birds ( I forgot the name. Jan please tell me the name again.)
And also squirrels are here and there. Here in Japan some people feed squirrels. When I told it, Jan and Nick laughed. We saw deer at night.
I wonder why monkeys are not in Aiken?????

It is warm in Aiken, so  hibiscuses are open.
Vegetable seedlings grow well.


I heard many senior people move here when they retire.  I really understand the reason.
On the other hand I'm surprised at senior people are not afraid to move to a new land. We moved here from Tokyo because of Yuki's job. More than 28 years passed since we moved. Now we stick with this land. Actually sometimes I think I wish I could move to warmer place. But we have lots of friends. So we won't move to a new land. if we moved to somewhere, probably, the place will be Tokyo because in Tokyo we were born, and our daughters live there. And anyway the cost of land is very expensive in Japan.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The name of the red bird is cardinal...we have lots of them in our back garden. Tonight we watched a mother woodpecker bring a young one to the suet feeder to show it where a source of food is found. The mother took suet from the feeder and put it into the mouth of the baby. It was fun to watch. Jan

Mieko said...

Yes, "Cardinal". thanks Jan.Yuki seemes to hand a nest box somewhere, but I asked him "who puts feeds in the box?" And unfortunately we seldom see coloful birds.