Thursday, October 24, 2013

how do you classify generations

According to the weather report another typhoon is attacking Japan this weekend. I hope we don't have any big damage. Well, before starting today's blog, let me say thanks to some friends. I didn't know that my Japanese close friends check this blog. Though to tell the truth I avoid going out by myself because of the dizziness, I'm OK. Thank you for your concern.

The other day I noticed an interesting way to classify generations.
People who are in their 10's or 20's, are called "mango" generation.
People who are in their 30's or 40's, are called "kiwi" generation.
And people who are more than 50, are called "banana" generation.

Do you understand this way? For people who are more than 60 (I don't want to include people who are in their 50's, bananas used to be wonderful dessert and not so inexpensive. People who are in their 40's and 50's kiwis were new fruits when they were young. So having kiwis used to be a trend.
And I don't know when, but mangoes gained a great popularity. And mango puddings made the popularity bigger.

Do you know other ways to classify generation?
I sometimes classify generations into "SUKIYAKI" generation and "YAKINILKU" generation. When I was young, the family treat was SUKIYAKI, which is cooked one big pot.
When my daughters were little our treat was "YAKINIKU" which is cooked one big plate.

 
Or I sometimes classify generations into TONKATSU generation and HAMBURGER STAKE generation. The meat meal my mother made used to be TONKATSU, and the meat meal I made to my kids were hamburger stake.
Anway the ways to classify generations I know  are all by foods.
 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amusing, Mieko! I think at least here in the US, you could also classify generations by their choice of social drink..
older- mixed cocktails
middle - wine
younger -beer Jan

Mieko said...

It's interesting.
Probably here in Japan
older- mixed cocktails
middle- beer
youner -wine

Additionaly these days Yuki avoind drinkg wine, so his wine-belly is becoming smaller.