Thursday, October 05, 2017

Don't hurry be Happy


First I borrowed the Japanese book at the library, and decided to buy it.
Next I bought the ordinal, which is written in English.

These days I managed to reach the feeling "I can make it through our retirement life".
The funny thing, "I", not "we". Because Yuki is very very optimistic, though he is more generous than mine.

About five years ago (probably) both of us attended a meeting about how we manage our retirement life, which is organized  for the 53 year old employees of Yuki's company every year. It means the meeting was hold by Yuki's company. There the attendee ran simulation of retirement money plan individually.
Probably we can manage it, but anyway the word "no income" gives me trepidation.
Of course you might say "you should continue your job". It is one way.

I don't use the word "housewife" as an excuse,  ---- but ---.

The book consists of 5 chapters. Happiness 101, Money and Happiness, the Workplace and Daily life.
In Japanese title is happiness of slow life, slow life of money, slow life of work, and slow life of daily life.
What is "slow life"?  Here in Japan, "slow life", "natural life" such words are getting popular.

I'll introduce a phrase.
Remember that many of the best things in life are free or cost very little. A university of Chicago study confirmed that people get the most pleasure and satisfaction from inexpensive leisure activities.

On the other hand there is a famous proverb in Japan.
There is nothing more costly than something got for nothing.

What do you think of it?

4 comments:

Rosa said...

50 is very young! I am getting close to 50 and I'm back at school to start a new career. But I think that is not usual in Japan.

You know the English saying, "The best things in life are free."

Mieko said...

Thanks for your comments, the retirement age of Yuki's company is "60". The age comes in two years. These days some (or many) employees continue to work there even though the salary is down (but usually the responsibility is the same).
The real aim of the meeting was "saving money" against sudden income down as retirement life starts , and "find a new career (to earn money" or "find enjoyable things (to kill time without money)".

Well, well,, I really understand "the best things in life are free". Considering what happens in the world, living in Japan is protected for lots of free.
I know, I know it.
I might be obsessive about the word money.

AikenJan said...

I think you may be more concerned about “security” than “money.” Security means knowing you will be able to take care of unexpected occurrences as you age. And, of course, that is where pre-retirement planning is important.
For many in our country, it might mean “downsizing”....meaning moving into smaller housing with less financial expenses. This is especially true if adult children and grandchildren only visit a few times a year, and extra bedrooms are not necessary. It means, as well, less money spent on engery, repairs and monthly expenses. In some cases, retirement means moving to another, more friendly, climate to be able to get out to enjoy all those “free” or inexpensive activities. (Not to mention not putting snow tires on your car, buying winter coats and boots, etc). Some move to a retirement community where transportation is by golf cart, so they save a lot of money as well as generally are able to drive safely longer.
I should say that the concept of downsizing does not mean living worse! You go smaller or change locations, as part of your long-range plans, but it does not mean you accept a less enjoyable lifestyle. For many, if not most, it means a more carefree, liberating period in your life without the burden of unnecessary work, responsibilities or expenses.
I think this is pretty much an unknown concept in Japan, from what I have observed and perhaps will never be popular. Jan

Mieko said...

Thanks for,your comments. Yes, you are right. As I know I was not so interested in political things, however, now Yuki and I talk about political, and The situation as an Asian country Japan. Including natural disasters, unexpected things often happens and they always change our daily lives. Downsizing is OK. We won't be stingy. Probably during next ten years, the more we have free time, the more we have to go to Tokyo. It costs lots if I go there by Shinkansen. Anyway, what I need the most is physical power.