Wednesday, November 01, 2017

visiting my mother in Octorber

The day before yesterday I went to Tokyo to visit my mother.  This time I took her to Shinjyuku. This time I wanted her to go out, but it was uncertain , because typhoon had came. Fortunately typhoon had gone, so I took her to Shinjuuku.
For a half of this year, even though she is still before 85, she is getting weak. Her legs are fine but she is really afraid of congestion and gaps. It means she doesn't like the congestion at station, and she is afraid of the gap between a train and a platform.

On the other hand going to town is a good opportunity for "us" to put on neat outfits.  (if I added some more words, they would be beautiful expensive.)

In her opinion, pants-style is very casual, so it is not suitable to go to NAKAMURA restaurant ( it was the restaurant we went to on the day), so she wore a little bit longer skirt. Usually when she takes a walk, she wears pants. Wearing pants gives her a good footwork --- she says. So wearing skirts seem to have her a bad foot work and it made her more afraid of getting on a train.

Anyway we finally got to the restaurant. To my surprise instead of being a week day, there were many elderly people (not only women but also men) to have lunch. And they were wearing neat outfits. (I've never seen such elderly people here in Utsunomiya). She seemed very satisfied with her outfits and had lunch there.

Nakamuraya restaurant is a very old and very famous restaurant.
When I was a child, my "grandmother" would often take me there (for me it was a just restaurant without no kids lunch), and my father in-law sometimes took me there (not Yuki), when we met at Tokyo. (When I worked as a business woman, sometimes I went to Tokyo on business, and had an opportunity to meet him.)

They have a own building. The restaurant is on the 8th floor. The gallery is on the 3rd floor, and the shopping area is on the first floor. She enjoyed all floors.


Well, well, to go there I ironed my dress, and put on an old coat.
Though I want a new coat in this season, but when I go to Tokyo next time by train, it will be more cold so I wouldn't wear the new coat if I bought.  However I want a new coat just for this short period.

4 comments:

Rosa said...

It's easy to feel underdressed in Tokyo--but I think there it's better to be over-dressed!

Mieko said...

Thanks for your comments, Rosa.
The dress cord for the elderly is ----,wearing pants or a skirt(for women) and wearing a shirt instead of a polo shirt is a key.
I have a question that over-dressed means put on many clothes?. Here in Utsunomiya we need to be overdressed. When I got back to Utsunomiya station how cold it was!!!.

Rosa said...

I am always curious about those unspoken rules about what to wear.:)

Overdressed sounds like it could mean many clothes, but it usually means wearing clothes that are too formal, like wearing an evening gown to go to McDonald's for a hamburger. (Underdressed means to dress too informally, like wearing jeans and a t-shirt to a very fancy restaurant. )

Mieko said...

Thanks Rosa. I got it. Well additionally, inTokyo no endears women wore high heel and few women wore low heel. Most of them wore flat or fancy walking shoes.