Monday, December 04, 2017

Season word 1130 duck hot pot


 
I think "duck hot pot" is not so familiar. Probably when you travel to mountain areas and stay in an Japanese inn, Duck hot pot may be served.
 
However "KAMO NANBAN" is familiar in this season. I love it.
It is "duck & green leek  soba noodle."
In this article, NEGI is translated as Welsh onions", I usually use "green leek".
And you might have heard "green onion". Green onion is usually "thin" NEGI.  Green Leek, and Welsh onions are thick.
 
Well, well, do you know the following?
Duck & Green leek soba is called KAMO NANBAN.
KAMO is duck.
And NANBAN is Negi,
 Why we call Negi Nanban?
I was really surprised to know the reason. In Edo period, the first European people came to Japan. They loved Negi. So Japanese people call Negi Nanban. Nanban means foreign countries which is in Europe.
 
Kamonanban   Grilled Negi smell   bring me smile.
Kamonanban   Old edo sound still leaves  in the word
 
 
 
 

No comments: