Tuesday, December 05, 2017

story hour at a temple

Though it is already December, let me tell you a story hour which was hold in November at a nearby small temple.
 

 
Luckily we had an opportunity to the nearby temple to attend a story hour.
The words shrines and temples are familiar words for Japanese people, but we don't associate with them.
We visit a shrine when we celebrate something, for example to celebrate Ah-chan three-year old anniversary we visited a shrine.
And two years ago when M's mother in-law passed away, we visited a temple.
So except special occasions, we seldom visit a shrine or a temple -- oh, except the famous shrines or temples as tourist spots.
 
Usually small temples seems to be closed by their Buddhist parishioners. However this time I saw this poster in front of the temple, and they invite anyone. So we went out.
The opened main hall to the event. We could see Buddhist statues and listened to the main monk's lecture.
 
It was a good opportunity.
It cost 2000 yen.
Yuki and I talked about the price. The event was good, and it was a good opportunity to enter the main hall.
And the reciter seems to be a little bit popular in this area. So probably the cost is suitable, or inexpensive. Because the reciter usually holds her story hour at the same cost.
 
I asked Yuki whether he would go to her story hour which is hold at a hall or café at the same cost.
The answer is "no".
 
So we had a good time in common at this temple.
 

3 comments:

Rosa said...

That sounds very interesting! I was lucky enough to know the daughter of a monk in Tokyo and she showed me the family temple and introduced me to her father (the monk).

2000 yen seems expensive, so hopefully it was a good talk.

Mieko said...

Thanks for your comments, Rosa, you seem it is expensive. Humm---. Anyway this time we had a good time. Before starting our new life with pensions, we reconsider our lives, our way to use money, and what we put the worth on.

Rosa said...

Good point! I guess I'm similar about how I spend money. If it's worth it to me I will spend the money--even if another person wouldn't. :)