Friday, March 21, 2008

woodworking "cherry blossoms"


What's this? It's a set of wooden cherry blossoms chopstic holder. Each petal of a cherry blossom is a holder.
Who made it? I made it.
I cut lots of wooden plate with jigsaw. I needed to practice using a jigsaw, so before makig it I made some wooden plates; a carrot, a maple, a cat.
When I practiced, I cut zelkova tree plates. After that I cut 5 kinds of tree plates. (I'm afraid I forgot the names). So the five colors are natural colors in the trees themselves. I applyed natrual pure oil to bring out their color clealier.
If the oil begins to peel away, applying olive oil make them recovered.
Now I'm in my spring vacation. I'm realy enjoying my vacation.
I did the work at a studio. It took about 1 hour from here by car. My friend drove me there.
We had a good time there from 10 to 3 including homemade lunch.
Usually I feel that I'm always run after by time. But today I realy spent calm day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mieko. Very nice woodworking. I liked the use of the natural wood colors. Wow, five different types of wood. I live in the desert southwest in Arizona, USA. Our local woods do not have the color variation. You are very lucky to have such a varied stock to choose from. Keep up the good work.
Sincerely,
Doug Whitson
Phoenix, AZ.

Eliza said...

Hi Mieko,

I stumbled upon http://www.zanthan.com/japan/nihongo/ and found your link here. I enjoy reading your entries. =)

Eliza
Singapore

Anonymous said...

Nice work Mieko - you are so talented!!

Anonymous said...

To Doug Whitson
Thank you for your comments. Though these woods are Japanese woods, but unfortuately they are not our local woods. Most of them are HOKKAIDOU woods (northen area in Japan). Here it is a mild climate, so the colors of our woods are also "mild".

To eliza
Yes, Yes, I also love the blog.

And
To another person
Thank you, but everybody must think there "I'm talented". When you "come" here next time, let's go together!!!