Friday, May 16, 2008

I have some questions. --- Mother's Day ---

Last Sunday, it was Mother's Day. Did you enjoy the day? I did. My daughers came back with flowers and presents. We had a good time.They came at noon, and came back to TOKYO at 4;30.
I rearlly thought Tokyo was far from here.

I was to happy to call my mother and my mother-in-law.
Next day I called to them. (My mother is OK, because she had late supper with my dauhgters.)
My mother-in-law ----??? It's OK. She is going to come and stay here two weeks later to play golf with "her son".

I read an intereseting picture book. The title is "Celebratint Mother's Day".
I have some questions.
One bear will give a present-box to her mother to show her love.
In the box, she puts in a teddy bear.
She said "it shows how we love to bear hug." --- I understand.
She puts in a piece of gum.
She said "it shows how we always stick together".-- I understand. And it's a good idea.
She puts in some nuts.
She said "it shows how we silly we like to be."
I don't understand. Why putting nuts means "silly" ?
Please someone tell me.

And another quesion is
Is it usual thing to present such a box fulled of gifts on Mother's Day in your country.

In Japan, usually kids present a bunch of carnation.
(BUT on this day carnations are really expencive, so many kids present "a" carnation.)

5 comments:

saffron said...

Hello Mieko,

I've been quietly reading your diary for a while, and have never commented before, but I thought I could share a little information for this entry.

On why nuts are considered 'silly,' it goes back to nuts being slang for being crazy or odd. For example, "are you nuts?" or "I'm going nuts!" or "She's a little nutty, isn't she?" all have to do with strange/out of the normal way behavior. Sometimes it can have negative connotations, but in your example, 'nuts' is an innocent expression of affection.

Anonymous said...

Saffron said it perfectly...someone acting a little odd but in a funny way.
I would say there is no traditional gift, such as carnations, for Mother's day, but often flowers are given. However, it's always the busiest day in the year for restaurants (brunch...which is a late breakfast) is very popular after going to church. And more phone calls are made on this day than any other in the US. Jan

Anonymous said...

Thank you saffron, and Jan.
I could really understand.

Nuts themselves, I think, are not usual food in Japan, except some nuts;chestnuts,peanuts.
But probably in your country Nuts are usual snack food.

Well, I had a good Mother's Day.
On the day suddnely the price of carnations rises. And after the day, sudddnely it drops.
Today my husband bought a bunch of carnations for 100-yen (1$).

Anonymous said...

The same thing happens here in the US (with high flower prices at certain times) for Valentine's Day when it is traditional to give roses. We call it The Law of Supply and Demand.

Anonymous said...

"We call it The Law of Supply and Demand." That's it. We are able to learn big-words from easy and familiar things. It's fun.