Thursday, July 24, 2008

I'm getting better.

Without problem my wisdom tooth has gone, though it was a hard time. I think, it's not a cure, not an operation, it's kind of construction.
Now, on schedule my gums are swelling and I cant't stand without taking pain killers, but the condition is better than the condition that my gumes were swelling two weeks ago, because I am able to open my mouth.

This week I am on vacation for taking a rest. I canceled all my lessons. Well what do I do? I found an intereseting brain game, that was created in Japan. Do you know SUDOKU?
http://www.sudoku.name/

Sudoku rules
- Sudoku is played over a 9x9 grid, divided to 3x3 sub grids called "regions":
Region
- Sudoku begins with some of the grid cells already filled with numbers:

- The object of Sudoku is to fill the other empty cells with numbers between 1 and 9 (1 number only in each cell) according the following guidelines:
1. Number can appear only once on each row:
2. Number can appear only once on each column:
3. Number can appear only once on each region:
- A summary of these guidelines would be, that a number should appear only once on each row, column and a region.

Now I have cleared easy, medium and high levels, so I've tried high ++ levels. My husband alreday gave up. Now I'm into Sudoku. Most of the day time I'm solving a table in the bed.

7 comments:

Brigit said...

Sudoko is very big here in the U.S. I can't even do the easy level. I'm horrible at it.

I'm glad to hear you are doing better but am sad to hear you are in pain. I'll keep praying for you.

Tim Frost said...

Hello again after a long time!

It's good to read about your recovery from your operation and I hope you enjoy a few days of free time.

It's a bit ironic for you to be solving difficult puzzles after having a wisdom tooth removed. :)

Ah, Sudoku... It is very popular here too. It's a very simple idea, but clever too. Almost every newspaper and magazine has Sudoku puzzles, and some interesting variants.

I enjoy doing them too, but I try to limit myself to one per day, as it can be addictive.

A few days ago you asked about slang. I could write a lot about the subject; it is a tricky and dangerous area of language. Much of slang is rude and offensive. Sometimes what is impolite in one country is OK in another. You have to be very careful!

There are many websites dealing with English language slang, but most of them have a high content of those bad words. They also have mainly single words rather than phrases, which you asked for.

But I have found one very good web site. It has a collection of 280 slang words and expressions, with an example sentence for each one. They are all fairly polite. In fact, it would be safe for you to use any of them. The site is designed for ESL students and the page design lets you test yourself on remembering the meanings.

The address is:
http://www.manythings.org/slang/

Anonymous said...

TO brigit
Is it really? Recently I know SUDOKU was born in Japan,though we do it before I was born. And my mother is crazy into it --- easy level.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Tim.
because of my tooth problem, these days I don't cook breakfast well.
Well, I understand you like or love SUDOKU. And to assign a limit is really important, these days I can't sleep well, because of my pain & an inspration to solve SUDOKU.
Now I'll go to the site.

Well, this spring one of my student moved to England, he is 10 years old. Now he could adjust to your country's life, and next week his father will come to Japan on business with his photos, letters, and many picture books which were sold at his school library. I'm really looking forward to seeing him.

What a good idea it is to sell used books of school libraries. I heard it's a common thing to the U.K. Unfortunately I have never heard about such events -- I wonder where the used book has gone probably garbage can.

Anonymous said...

HI Mieko. Glad your tooth extraction is behind you!
As Brigit said, Sudoko is very popular here in the USA. My husband does the one in our newspaper every day and entertains himself while flying with them. Good brain exercise!
Used books are also very popular here. We have stores that only sell used books and I also trade with others through the Internet. We trade free but pay for postage. And, I buy used books for very little money at our library. People donate them and the money collected helps to purchase new books for the library.
My friends and I also pass magazines around to each other rather than throwing them away. I would say that each magazine gets read at least 6 or 8 times by others. I especially like reading everyone's gardening magazines. Jan

Anonymous said...

I found this site really helpful when I was learning how to play sudoku. I'm not sure if you're interested in how to videos, but these are great for beginners.

Anonymous said...

To kate, thank you for showing a really intereseting page for English learners including me.

Well, SUDOKU, now I manage to get rid of SUDOKU posining. Now I enjoy one sudoky table a day.