Monday, January 26, 2009

table topics


Yesterday I attend a Toastmasters meeting in this area, which was the first meeting in 2009. My role was a emcee, it's not good. My English was backward and forward. (On the other hand I was able to speak Japanese fluently.)


A member gave us three tale topics.

1. What kind of things about environmental problems are you going to do this year?

2. How will you or do you continue to get relief from stress this year?

3. What do you think of English education at elementary school.

(Since this spring English class is going to be a regular class among 5th grade and 6th grade students at all public elementary schools in this city, though students don't receive grads. At private schools it's been already taken as a regular class.)


1. A woman made a speech.the summary was keeping recycling much harder. (These days not only cardboard but also just paper were gathered as recycling things not as usual garbage, if we separate paper from usual garbage.)


Yes I agree with her. Some people say recycling cost is higher than burning garbage. It is also true. But it is necessary for everyone to use everything carefully. Recycling will make the attitude grown up more, I think.


2.Another men made a speech. There are three steps. The first step is to try to think positively, the second step is to exercise. while exercising usually our brain is empty (It means we don't think anything). The third step is to go to bed after sipping some alcohol.


There are just my husband's away. He always tries to think anything positively, on weekends he plays tennis and golf, and go to bed earlier after drinking (not sipping) SHOCHU.

On the other hand, I tend to think even a small trouble or worry thing deeply and negatively. I'm a worrywart, and my favorite motto is "Better safe than sorry".

Sometimes I don't have enough sleep. Probably exercising is the best way to release from my stress, but on the other hand exercising makes me tired. (It's difficult to do suitable exercise to me.) So until now reading books, listen to music and having interesting foods are my way to release my stress. (It is another issue what is my stress.)


3. A woman teaching English at an elementary school said, it is always necessary to think why we teach English: for entrance exams to high schools or colleges, or to speak English fluently? Ministry Education suppose to make foundation to communicate with others. What does it mean to communicate? Anyway I hope students always have curiousness and interest to various things , and learn English is one of the way for it.


I also did English classes four times this term in 2nd grade students. Their eyes were shining.

Having interests is the first step to do something, the next step is what? On the other hand, as you know, my English ability does not improve.


Well, today two friends came to my house in the morning and we read an English book and talked about it in English. I served "milk pudding".






3 comments:

Kharina said...

Happy new year Mieko. I hope you have a prosperous and healthy new year.

Anonymous said...

As far as I know, Japan is the only country in the world that speak Japanese! Therefore, unless the citizens want to be isolated from the rest of the world, they need to learn other languages. English is apparently the "international" language now so for young people to compete in the world market, to understand what is happening outside of Japan, it is very important to at least read in English.

Anonymous said...

To Kharina. Thanks for your comments. In March my friend is going to the U.K on her business.

Probably English is the/an international language. Yes, to use English gives us broaden our horizon.