Thursday, May 28, 2009

FUKUSOKU-DOBUTUS

Do you know the word of "gastropod"? In Japanese FUKUSOKU-DOBUTSU.
These words (Japanese and English) are the first words for me.

The other day a woman come to our study meeting.
Most of conversaiton is of course done in Japnaese, I try to write it down in English.

Mieko "This book is also useful and fun to introduce numbers to kids"
-- I read a English picture book.
How many legs on an octupus? -- eight legs on an octupus.
How many legs on a bug?---------six legs on a bug.
------ continue, and finish
But no legs on a slug!

Ms. H " In English slugs have no legs, don't they?".
Mieko "What? "
Ms.H " Slugs have a leg they have muscle in their belly, so they belong to "FUKU(belly)-SOKU(leg) Dobutsu(animal) "
Mieko "Really? How about snakes?"
Ms.H "No, they don't have legs."
Mieko "Why do you know creatures very well?"
Ms. H "My major was biology."
Mieko "I see, so you don't mind that you daughter pick up lots of worms in the garden."

When I came home, I look for the word in my dictionary, it was "gastropod".
The origin of the word is Greek. gastro meas belly and pod means leg.
Did you know that??

No comments: