Monday, June 22, 2009

EIGO RAKUGO

EIGO means English, and RAKUGO means -- it's difficult to translate it in English, according to a dictionary you can see these words "Japanese sit-down comedy, comic monologue, comic story, comic story telling , comic storytelling".

Anyway I went to Tokyo to listen to EIGO RAKUGO of Mr.Kaishi.
He said; (though include my opinion) "Japanese people are seemd not to understand jokes, but we can understand jokes, and we have a 400 old traditional performance of RAKUGO. I want to show the world of RAKUGO to people in the world "

I'm not sure whether Japanese people don't understand jokes. We , of course , laugh. Probably the points of view to laugh is different according to people.

Nowadays "HAIKU" is becoming a world-word. (I'm not sure whether this sentence makes sense). In Japanese when we make "HAIKU" we keep 5-7-7 tempo. And Japanese is easy to keep the tempo, because we can separate the word based with vowel sounds, like Ha-I-ku.
But other languages are different and difficult, but they enjoy the style of HAIKU in their ways.

So probably "RAKUGO" is also be able to be enjoyed everyone in each way.
To share laughing is interesting, though it might be impossible to convey delicate nuances, and it might be different in the laughing points.

I'll introduce a short comedy.
Japanese version is
A: Hato ga nanika otoshitayo! (A dove has dropped something!)
B: FU-----n (Fu---n means really, but fun( the pronunciation is f-oo-n means shit)

So Mr. Kaishi's English version is
A; A bird has dropped something!
B: Oh! Shit!
C: Exactly!

Which do you enjoy?
I can understand both of them.
But Japanese version is "A dove", it has the nuance of "calm", "innocent", "slow".
Person I feel that person B is smiling.
On the other hand in English version I feel that person B is shocked, and person A is grinning.
What do you think of it?

Anyway if you can enjoy this story, please drop by this site.
http://eigo-rakugo.com/index.html

No comments: