Monday, July 13, 2009

Are they old things?

Humid, Humid, Humid, in Japan.

And it is a good season for mosquitoes. Do you have mosquitoes in your country?
So I burnt a mosquito coil "Katori Senkou" in front of the entrance door.

The smell of it makes "me" or "adults" think of a hot Summer.
Until last year, most students said "the smell of it makes me think of my grandmother's house."
But, this year, to be surprised for me some students said "Stink! Is it the smell of toilet?"

They didn't know the smell of "Katori Senkou".

Actually, these days electric mosquito repellent without smell is usual.
People tend to be nervous about smell.
BUT ---- I miss the smell of old days, these days.


Well, I saw the picture of talcum powder in a English picture book.
Do you use talcum powder even now?
I translated it into "Sicaarol" (it is even Japanese), but nobody knew it.
Now we call it baby powder. But as you can guess from the name, mainly it is used by babies.
Talcum powder or Sicaarol is an old thing?


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, talcum powder is still used...even by adults. Athletes often put it in their sports shoes to absorb moisture. I put it in my golf shoes in the summer when it is humid. Divers use it in their wet suits to make it easier to put them on. A form of talcum powder is used in medical gloves to make them easier to put on. Often people have to wear surgical "sleeves" on limbs for medical reasons and they use talcum powder to make it easier to put on. Those are just a few that I can think of right now...not just for babies!

Anonymous said...

I'm confused --- Ok, I'll update my diary.

Tim Frost said...

We don't have mosquitoes, but in some parts of Britain we do have a few other little, annoying summertime insects such as midges. They are really only a problem outside, so we don't need to burn those coils.

Another Japanese internet friend showed me a photo of the coils just taken out of the packet. It was a good idea (though obvious in retrospect) to package two coils fitted together so one filled the space between the spirals of the other. This both provided support and saved space.

I also came across a cute coil holder. Of course, the Japanese are experts at cute things!

Anonymous said...

Those coils have been around for many years! I first used them when living in South America for mosquitos forty years ago, and then in later years always used them outside of camping tents when hiking.

Anonymous said...

Though we have air conditioners, some people including I like natural wind, so I usually open the window, and use screen window.

So such a gadget is needed.

mss @ nipponDAZE said...

When I lived in Japan 20 years ago, we had the electric mosquito repellant called Vape. The poison smelled very strong and I was afraid to use it but we did because the mosquitoes were very bad.

They are bad where I live now in Texas but our house is more closed to the outdoors so we don't have to burn mosquito coils in the house.

As for talcum powder. It seems kind of old-fashioned to me. I never use it. But, I haven't had a baby for 30 years, either.

Anonymous said...

thanks for your comments.
Yes, I know Vape -- (it is Vabe, not bape, I didn't know that)
Actually it had a strong smell, so these days odorless type is usual.
Everything tends to be odorless, so I like the smell of KATORI-SENKOU.
But some kids don't get to used to the smell, for them the smell is bad.
But I dare to use KATORI-SENKOU in the entrance hall.

About talcum powder, I asked my husband to buy it at a supermarket in America, but he couldn't find it. He found baby-powder.
Probably both of them are the same. BUt I want to show my students the label of "TALC" like a picture book. So I ordered it on the net-shopping.