Monday, August 31, 2009

Here is French, and here is French

A French girl came, she is 17. Her name is "Lea".
The pronunciation is difficult for Japanese, not Le-a, not Li-a. But she gave to tell her correct sound. Her name in Japan is Li-a.
Until she came, we didn't know that--- that????
In my house there are some French, on the plate, on the pot.
She was surprised, happy, and laughed. The sentences on the plate seemed not to be good French, she doesn't tell us what does it mean yet.
I understand, I sometimes foreign people decollete or use something written in Japanese, and sometimes the Japanese is --- strange.


On the other hand, I know many English especially ones written on T-Shirts seems to be funny.
Since tomorrow she goes to high school by bus with OBENTOU. I start to make OBENTOU again. She likes rice, so it's OK to make just ONIGIRI (rice balls) when I'm busy, or she can make it.
Today's menu of breakfast is grilled Salmon (typical Japanese breakfast) and scrambled eggs.
She ate both, but she seemed to prefer scrambled eggs--- Can you see Jan, of course with hot ketchup.
My husband Yuki loves something hot.
This ketchup, is too hot for me, for Yuki so-so, and for Lea very hot.
Thanks Jan. We enjoy it.
And "we" love the sauce and the pasta.


Her parents don't speak English well like her. She learns English at school.
In Japan --- we learn English at school, but most high school students can't speak English like her.
On the other hand she doesn't know grammatical things about English very much. So she sometimes attend my junior high school English class at night.
Just two days passed since she came.
But my husband and my impression is -- she is just a high school girl like my daughters. Until now we have no problems, and I hope Lea has no problem.

3 comments:

Tim Frost said...

It looks like her visit has begun well. I wish her an enjoyable stay with you.

If the "strange" French text is funny, please tell us what it says.

Some "Engrish" from Utsunomiya:
http://utsunomiyadailyphoto.wordpress.com/2009/08/30/hair-saron/

Anonymous said...

Learning a language "by ear" seems to be the most popular method...that is how I learned Spanish, for example, and my husband learned German in total immersion situations. However, when you teach, such as you do, knowing grammer is important so you understand what you are trying to teach. And, some people (like you!) just seem to need to know why and how things are done. Those people make good teachers! Jan

Anonymous said...

Tim OK.
Well, about the site of Utsunomiya, he or they seem to like TOCHIGI. The bus on the photo runs near the town of UTSUNOMIYA.
Anyway I'm glad for somone to tell about to UTSUNOMIYA.
It makes our city vigorous.

Jan
Yuki and my ears are too old to copy her French sounds.
So teachers who teaches a language need to analyze how to "pronouce" the sound, especailly they teach the sound to adults like us.(Yuki and Mieko). French sounds hear ambiguous.