Sunday, August 16, 2009

Summer vacation was almost finihsed.


Now I'm waiting for my husband coming back. He was going out to play golf to enjoy his last summer vacation day. As soon as he came home, we are going out to take a hot spring bath.

While I'm waiting for him, I'm reading this book. I'm almost through with this book. This book brings back some memories. (In Japanese NATSUKASHI NA--, but it is difficult to translate it in English directly, Japanese peculiar phrase or nuance like MOTTAINA (wasteful,but I always think there is a little difference between these words)
Have you ever read this book? I've read many times when I was a child, And this book was my daughter's favorite. And to be surprised, even my husband said , when this book arrived (Thanks Tim) "OH, Hotzenplotz".
I don't know whether my students know this book, but anyway in my generation probably this book was really popular.
What books brings back some memories for you?
The other day I attended to an English workshop.
The lecture said "On learning English(or foreign language), there are four important skills, speaking, listening, reading and writing. The way to learn is different. Reading and writing is necessary for conscious study using left (I forgot right?) part of the brain. On the other hand speaking and listening is necessary for unconscious training using right (left?) part of the brain, like sports.
I'm not good at sports, so I tend to escape from speaking and listening training of English, but I love reading.

2 comments:

Tim Frost said...

You have read it quickly. How was the experience of reading it in English compared with reading it in Japanese? You are already familiar with the story, so I suppose that helped you.

For me, particular books don't bring back memories, just any book that I find which I haven't read for a long time. In that case I sometimes remember the occasion when I first read it.

The grouping of language activities is interesting, and they are also related to vision in the first case and sound in the second case. There is another way to associate them: reading and listening are passive (absorbing) activities, while writing and talking are active (creative) activities. But what is the conclusion? I don't know!

Anonymous said...

To Tim, anyway 4 skills are needed.
And the most intereseting thing for me is how I use English.
I enjoyg Enlighs on this blog, with my students, and with my friends.