Saturday, August 11, 2012

Lateral thinking

Yesterday I went to a workshop in UTSUNOMIYA, and there I took four seminars.


The first one is about children English education. The theme was "follow your dream".
The second one is a conversation seminar. More than 10 English native speakers were there, so participants enjoyed talking in English.
I had lunch for free.
The third one is "no arts, no life". I learned the word "lateral thinking" which is the way to think out side of the box.
Do you know the word? For me it was the first time. Lecturer showed us some lateral thinking puzzles. I gave up! What a stubborn brain I have! Classical Lateral Thinking exercise is here.
For example
There is a man who lives on the top floor of a very tall building. Everyday he gets the elevator down to the ground floor to leave the building to go to work. Upon returning from work though, he can only travel half way up in the lift and has to walk the rest of the way unless it's raining! Why?

The answer is
The man is very, very short and can only reach halfway up the elevator buttons. However, if it is raining then he will have his umbrella with him and can press the higher buttons with it.
(I wrote the text in white. please trace two lines, so you can see the answer.)
At the workshop, a site of Gregory Colbert was introduced.





The last one is Japanese short story in English, which is called RAKUGO.
I'll introduce a short story, I don't know whether you understand Japanese joke. But I hope you enjoy it.
At home
Father; What? our neigbor didn't led you his hammer?
Son; No, He said it would chip.
Father; Oh, he is so mean. A hammer never chips. It's made of steel. Well, let's use ours.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That's so clever! What a great story.

Unknown said...

What a great story! Very clever.

Unknown said...

That's so clever! What a great story.

Mieko said...

Thanks Tracey, actaully, for me the word of "lateral thinking" was a little bit difficult.