Tuesday, October 17, 2017

ironing


How many times do you iron ? Every day? or when you need it?
One of my house chores I dislike (or hate) is ironing, or I'm very bad at ironing.
Nowadays, most of shirts got easier to be ironed, but for me ironing is troublesome.

On the other hand I like wearing ironed shirts, and I like seeing a man (especially elder man) wearing ironed shirts.
My neighbor always wear ironed shirts. I've wanted to ask that who irons them.

Well, well, the more older we are, the more "slovenly" (these days I learnt this word, in this case it is too exaggerated.) "disarray" or "careless in attitude".  we are. Wearing easy outfits is easy, I know, on the other hand, wearing tidy outfits is important . Young men are able to cover their careless in attitude saying" other things are more important to me than appearance".  However for elderly people tidy appearance is necessary I hear "make-up therapy" is very effective for women. make-up is one of things of tidy attitude.

Well, well, anyway while I was simmering pre-cooked dishes for this week, I made myself understood the reason while I was ironing.
Probably when Yuki retires, it might be one of his job.

Additionally, I know some men "loves" ironing especially on his pants, and shirts.
And I also hear the wife who has such a man often is irritated by  his "touchy " attitude. Such men are tend to be neurotically  clean.
Yuki is so lazy that I 'm very happy in this point.


 I was sturing while I'm making my self understood the reason why I'm ironing, I cooked pr-cooked dishes.


 

2 comments:

AikenJan said...

We laughed about your ironing comments! If I remember correctly, you Iron at floor level. Is this how everyone irons in Japan? I would find this very “bothersome”, as well. Here, I would say most use an ironing board that is waist high so you stand. In my house, my ironing board is hidden behind a door in the wall of the laundry room, and folds down when needed. You can buy the entire unit at a home improvement store and install between wall studs. That is how I have done it for every house we’ve owned.
I personally like ironed clothes so am willing to make the effort. Some women set their (portable) boards in front of the TV and pass the time watching a program as they Iron. I used to listen to audio books. When I was a tiny child (before TV!), my mother used to teach me nursery rhymes and songs while she ironed. I still have those memories.
I agree, keeping “tidy” is very important as you age. It is still one part of our lives we can usually control. My “lazy” husband sometimes dorsn’t like to shave (it is bothersome! LOL) but I do not like it because it makes him look like an untidy, old person.
We visited a sister-in-law this weekend who is 93. She wears make up, dresses very fashionably, had a necklace and earrings on, her hair styled beautifully and looks at least 20 years younger than 93. I think when you look younger, you act and think younger. She is a good role model for others. Jan

Mieko said...

Thanks for your comments, I love the phrase, "It (ironing) is still one part of our lives(my laziness) we can usually control.", though I added more direct meaning.
Well, though this is my opinion, women who "loves" ironing use an ironing board that is waist high. And people whose house have almost wooden floor tend to use that type. As you know in my house just kitchen (and these days Yuki's room was added) has a wooden floor. Other than TATAMI floor. We are uncomfortable to use that type in the room with TATAMI floor. So it might be a good idea Yuki irons in his room while watching TV. Do you remember the room which has a TV is only Yuki's room.