Tuesday, October 10, 2017

With high school students 0928

At a high school students class, we took an interesting topic.
Do you have a philosophy that has helped you lead a happier life?

For two students, it seems difficult to discuss about, because they study and do usual activities very hard except doing house chores.

So I mentioned some example talks from my textbook.

-------------
"If we make up our mind what we are going to make of our lives, then work hard toward that goal, we never lose --somehow we win out." This is a quote by Ronald Reagan, the former US president. I believer our efforts will bear fruit if we continue to work hard.
-------------
They said "Now we focus on  passing an entrance exam to college, but we are not sure what is the goal, just we try to catch our goal which we see near, and we believe such small steps lead us to a happier life".


------------
Woody Allen says (well, well, he is a very famous actor because even me I know of him, but he seems too old for them to know of ) "It's important to have some laughs, but you've got to suffer a little too, because otherwise you miss the whole point to life." Although I don't know what's in store for me, I will live through my hardships, however difficult they may be.
----------
They said, "we understood what he said, anyway it means probably pleasure is the source of pain, and pain is the source of pleasure".


---------
"Where there is will, there is a way", I love this proverb and keep this in mind when I try to do something new and challenging.
---------
They said, "we know this proverb, and another familiar proverb is "Rome was not built in a day".


-------
"My philosophy in life is based on the Latin words carpe diem meaning "seize the day." We only live once, so I think we should live our lives to the fullest and not lament, "I wish I had done this or that".
-----------
They said, "Anyway we should apply ourselves to the job at hand.


All examples seemed to say "study hard".
So we watched this video.


2 comments:

AikenJan said...

Many of us seem to find inspiration in these sayings. My only comment is using the word “pain.” That is a very negative view, and my personal opinion is that something like “hard work” would be better. HARD WORK is the source of pleasure and pleasure is the source of HARDWORK (when describing goals). Woody Allen was talking about how you appreciate success in life if you have to work a little hard for it. In other words, if everything is given to you or comes too easily, you don’t appreciate it as much or have personal satisfaction to have reached your goals. Jan
PS... these are good points for your students to consider before they leave their high school years and the security of their homes to face the realities and competition of the world.

Mieko said...

Thanks for your comments. I smiled or grinned, actually hard work is a possitve word, and pain is a negative word. You are really Jan. And I who prefer to use the word pain is really Mieko. Of course, I recommend my students to use the word hard work. Thanks.