Tuesday, January 09, 2007

travel to HIROSHIMA -3-















I'll introduce other the local foods.
HIROSHIMA is also famous with oyster. So at the hotel the dinner was full of "oyster"; oyster-pot, grilled oyster, baked oyster with cheese, deep fried oyster and oyster-rice.

Oyster season is from Novembenr to March. Durin the summer the typcial local food is congers (similer to eels, but not eels)
We saw congers-CHIKUWA at a fish shop.
Chikuwa is fish paste cooked in a bamboo-like shape. so the kanji of "chiku" is "bamboo".

And typcial sweet is "MOMIJI"-manjyu. Momiji manjyu is maple shaped sweet manjyu, usualy the inside is bean paste, but my youhger daughter doesn't like bean paste very much. And we are tied of usual "momiji" manjyu.
So we eat deep fried momij manjyu, and she chose momiki majyu with custard cream.
Do you like it?

6 comments:

Desiree said...

Mieko, again you are talking of food that I have not got familiarity with. Thanks for the description and photos. Hmm... I must thank you also for the pasta sauce (as well as other gifts you sent)... I tried one of the pasta sauces this past week and the kids and I enjoyed it (hubby missed it as he was away).

Mieko said...

Belated Happy New year! OKONOMIYAKI is enjoyed by most foreign guests in my house, usually my OKONOMIYAKI is unsweetend vegetable pancake type.
Probably you and your kids like it.
When you have time, please try it.

Anonymous said...

OKONOMIYAKI was my favorite food of Japan. My host families took me to a "Japanese pizza" restaurant in Nara and we cooked our dishes right on the table top, with various ingredients. Then I had it at Mieko's house, her daughters cooked it. In May, I had a Japanese houseguest and she brought all the seasonings to make OKONOMIYAKI in my kitchen, with shrimp. Sadly, I haven't found a Japanese restaurant here that offers it. Jan

Mieko said...

To JAN
If you come here, or I visit you I'll cook HIROSHIMA's OKONOMIYAKI for you (and your husband). Please looking forward to having it!

Anonymous said...

My son and I both love manju. My favorite kind was a manju in the shape of a cube (six-sided manju) which was flavored with ginger. I prefer manju when the bean paste is very smooth. I don't like it when it has bean lumps in it. And I like white bean paste because the bean flavor is not so strong.

We used to enjoy watching the manju-maker pour his mixture into what looked like a giant muffin tin and bake the manju. It was very interesting to watch.

I'm lucky that I can find manju in Austin at a small Japanese grocery store here. I usually buy it for special occasions like Hina Matsuri.

Mieko said...

Ms. Stevens
I learned ways to discribe "tsubuan" and "koshian" from your story.

"Tsubuan" has bean lumps
"koshian" is smooth.

Actaully me too. I love Koshian, but I don't like Tsubuan.