Wednesday, February 28, 2007

a bus tour of watching flowers







Last Sunday I went on a bus tour of watching flowers in KAMAKURA with my friend. We really enjoyed watching flowers in early spring. The photos are in turn, KAWAZU cherry, Hiragi nanten, Mansaku, Ume. ( I don know their English names.)
Going on a bus tour was the first experience for us. I thought such tours were for "OBASAN" (middle-aged women) and elderly people. And now we become OBASAN so we went in.
Well, actaully before being OBASAN, it was difficlut to go out leaving kids at home. Now my daughter is willing to let me go out on holidays.

Of course if we had enough pocket money and time we could travel personally. The bus tour is really inexpensive and easy to move. While we are chatting, the bus transports us.

The attendees were 3 OBASAN groups (including us) , a OJISAN( middle-aged men) group, some couples (our generation, and elder generation) and some single attendees.
Probably I think I told you, I'm not good at enjoying by myself. I was really surprised at them, and though they were cool.
I said to myself "I'll try to do it by myself like them!". My friend heard them, and said "don't say such a sad thing, enjoy together!".
I was really happy.
Of course it was a good one-day trip.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mieko-san

Just a short note to thank you for publishing and maintaining your blog. I've learnt a lot about Japanese life (especially food!) from reading it.

I wonder if I might ask a question. In Japan, at what age will an individual commonly be regarded as having entered middle-age and become an Obasan or Ojisan?

Thanks.

William

Mieko said...

To William
Thanks for your comments. Obasan and Ojisan are kind of slangs. The words themselves are not bad words, but depends on the way they sound like a irony, actually I use the words with a little irony (the mean is they are not young).

From eyes of teens people in their morethan 20's are "obasan and ojisan". And from eyes of people in their 20's, propaly people in their more than 30's are obasn and ojisan.
AND probably all people in their more than 40's are obasn and ojisan.

Don't ask "are you obasan( or ojisan)?