Saturday, June 23, 2007

I have questions.

These days I’ve learned some adjectives to describe someone’s character. Now I’m wonder what image do you have about the word of “wild”.
A: Who was your best friend in high school?
B: My best friend was Mieko.
A: What was she like?
B: She was funny and kind of wild.
Q1.In this conversation, did B want to say “she was a little bit violent”? or “rude” or “selfish?”.
Please tell me.

And I’ll tell other words I learned.
Positive adjectives; demanding (strict), down-to-earth (practical), encouraging, understanding (generous),
Easy-to-talk to (friendly), easy-going (optimistic), dependable, grown-up (precocious)
Negative adjectives: cranky (sour), unfair, rude, condescending (arrogant) competitive, nerdy (not fashionable)
Q2.Is there anything to be careful when I use these words?

6 comments:

Shelley said...

If I was told someone was 'kind of wild', I would think they were adventurous, maybe not scared to break a few rules, outgoing.
I wouldn't say they were violent or rude or necessarily selfish. For example, I would say one of my friends from when I was in school many years ago, was 'kind of wild', and she was very outgoing, liked to go out partying a lot and was always the one dancing with all the boys!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Shelley with "wild" not necessarily being rude or selfish. Perhaps a small boy who was prone to hit other children might be described as wild. Members of a street gang might be described as wild and perhaps that would include violent behavior. If a teenage girl is described as wild, it might mean how she dresses, tatoos, makeup, and acts very suggestively (sexual) around boys...in other words seemingly judged in a negative manner by the person who says she is "wild." Jan

Mieko said...

Thank you for your telling. I had really mistaken the meaing of the word. It doesn't give the negative feeling, doesn't it? Now I'm really gentle (probably), I used to be wild when I was little.

Anonymous said...

Also kind of wild could be crazy, in a good way.

Anonymous said...

In this context, I don't think wild means violent, rude or selfish...at least not in an American sense. A teenager who is a little wild is someone who doesn't live by other's rules--could be in a bad way, like dropping out of school or taking drugs. But it doesn't have to be. If used by ones friends and peers, I think it is in admiration, to show that someone isn't afraid to do their own thing. However, parents and parents' friends might use it to mean a child that is out of control.

Although being a bit wild is often admired in America (I think of James Dean, for instance), is the same trait admired in Japan?

Anonymous said...

James Dean , yes, he is wild. I understand clearly. Probably most popular young actors for teen agers are wild. Mieko